walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A family outing to Loch Garbad

A family outing to Loch Garbad

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Route description: Eas Mòr and Loch Garbad, nr Kildonan

Date walked: 06/08/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 244m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A brief 2-day break in Arran to stay with my parents, my sister and her three kids. On the Tuesday, we got unexpectedly good weather, with the island looking spectacular from the Ardrossan ferry.
Garbad WR1.jpg

We were staying in a beautifully situated cottage just at the western end of Kildonan, and my niece Emily - being an outdoorsy sort of girl - fancied going a walk :) . I just wish any of my own kids had been similarly enthusiastic at her age :oops: . My sister had done the wee Loch Garbad walk before, and enjoyed it, so that seemed like a good choice.
We started at sea level, on Kildonan Beach just outside the cottage, but despite the steep walk up the minor Kildonan road to meet the A841, Emily was pressing on ahead, and somewhat putting my sister and myself to shame as we struggled to keep up. It didn't take us long to get to the junction with the A841, where the track to the Eas Mor waterfall and Loch Garbad starts just on the opposite side of the main road.
Once past the car park, this quickly becomes a very pretty forest walk on an excellent path:
Garbad WR2.jpg

A bit further up the path and the Eas Mor waterfall comes into view. This proves to be unexpectedly impressive for the relatively flat south half of Arran, a definite rival to the better known Glenashdale Falls near Whiting Bay. As described by the website's route summary, there are several different viewpoints along the path.
Garbad WR3.jpg

Garbad WR4.jpg

There were equally good views back the way, with the wee islands of Pladda and Ailsa Craig very prominent out to sea to the south.
Garbad WR5.jpg
Garbad WR6.jpg

The last of the viewpoints, which is nearest to the waterfall, is probably the most impressive one.
Garbad WR7.jpg
Garbad WR8.jpg
Garbad WR9.jpg

From here on up to the loch, the path gets a bit rougher with some swampy bits, although tree branches have helpfully been laid across the worst of these. Emily was having a rare time foraging about in the pine forest for unusual fungi, particulalry fine examples of lichen, owl pellets and the like :D . This is her showing off some strange trailing mossy stuff she found on the lower branches of a pine tree:
Garbad WR10.jpg

It wasn't much farther to the loch itself, another very scenic spot, especially in today's sunshine. We had a chat with one of the two fishermen, who had managed to land some nice brown trout.
Garbad WR11.jpg
Garbad WR12.jpg
Garbad WR13.jpg

Then it was just a leisurely stroll back home to Kildonan, taking the recommended detour on the way to the free library hut, which is definitely child-friendly: Emily was impressed. Another bonus of this wee detour was a fallen log that provided some useful tightrope-walking practice:
Garbad WR14.jpg

We were back at the house within two hours. I'd definitely recommend this as a grand shorter walk in the southern half of the island - if starting from the car park just off the A841 at the Kildonan road junction, I would think that this walk would be manageable even for very young children, and there's certainly plenty to keep older children interested.
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Re: A family outing to Loch Garbad

Postby mrssanta » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:18 pm

That was lovely
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland