walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tiorga Mor

Tiorga Mor

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Tiorga Mor

Date walked: 25/07/2013

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 760m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It would have been criminal to visit Harris for a week without bagging one of the higher hills. Having climbed An Cliseam five years ago and having doubts about the exposure on sections of the horseshoe we decided to have a go at the most westerly Graham, Tiorga Mor.
Thursday was a far better day for walking than we’d had so far as the air felt a lot fresher and there was fairly extensive cloud cover. Much of the walking on Harris is over rough ground with very few paths actually on the hills. Tiorga Mor however has a very easy start up a road to a hydroelectric power station. It is possible to park a fair way up this road but we parked just off the B887 and set off.

Tiorga Mor from the track by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The road becomes a track that takes you up to the dam on Loch Chliostair. Often reservoirs lack that certain something when compared to natural bodies of water but here in these wild dramatic surroundings it makes a fine sight.

Loch Chliostair by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Dam at Loch Chliostair by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Once the Dam has been reached the real walk can begin. And by real I mean real hill walking, none of this trudging up a treadmill with dozens of even hundreds of others, just you and a hill, all yours for the day. 8)
That said there are traces of a boggy trod across the rough ground between the dam and the slabby South East ridge. This soon runs out however and by the time the hidden Loch Maolaig comes into view the ground is a really quite difficult mix of heather and boulders.

Leaving the dam behind by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A gneiss seat by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Orieabhal Mono by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

South East Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It comes as a relief when the slabs on the ridge can be started upon and you can rely on the ground beneath your feet once again. This is a fine way up the hill but it is awfully steep. The slabs of Gneiss are very grippy and provide a quick if tiring way to gain height. A few simple scrambles add to the fun but all too soon the ridge becomes an easy grassy slope up to the dramatic summit.

Loch Maolaig by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Views opening up by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Mountain Light by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Top of the slabs by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Final Pull up to the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

To even come close to doing the view from this hill justice in words you’d have to be very talented so I won’t bother trying, I’ll let the pictures do the talking for me. To make things even better the sun came out as we had a well-deserved lunch and we spend quite a while taking in the astonishing panorama on offer.

Tiorga Mor Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Close up towards Scarp by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Mossy trig point by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking North East by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking South by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking North West by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Pals on the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Family summit shot by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Perhaps the only disappointment so far was the lack of a clear view of Sron Uladail so we set off down towards the minor top that overlooks this natural wonder to rectify this. As opposed to the rigours of ascent this section is truly delightful easy walking.

Easy going by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Sron Uladail by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Just as the crag came into view with its all too obvious wow factor I spotted a young stag, he decided he didn’t want shooting by anything so quickly moved off joining another stag before disappearing out of sight. To complete a bewildering few seconds a mountain hare broke cover and darted off after them. Following all this excitement we sat and admired Sron Uladail while enjoying a slice of cake and considered our route options. We had noticed the ridge the other side of Loch Maolaig looked reasonable decided upon this descent. We descended a bit too soon however so had to contour around the top of Lag Glas, spotting another mountain hare before making out way along the rough poorly defined ridge.

Loch Maolaig and the South East Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We dropped down to the shores of Loch Maolaig after a while and surprisingly found traces of a path around the Loch. This is a wonderful location that probably receives very few visitors, it felt like a real privilege to be here, just us in this wild place.

Loch Moalaig Mono by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It became obvious once we had reached the rough heather and boulders that we were going to get wet as a “shower” was obviously heading up the glen. At first I thought it was going to be just a light one but quite soon the air was filled with those huge heavy summer droplets. In a decision that we would regret our water proof trousers and gaiters had been left out of the packs :roll: so it turned out to be a very squelchy walk back to the car. :(

Rain on the way by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

TR_130725-104309.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Soaking aside it had been a fantastic walk up to a stunning summit that will live long in the memory. We saw only one other walker all day and he was at a distance. The North Harris hills are an amazing place; so raw and ancient that their relatively modest heights are rendered irrelevant.
On the Friday we finished off a great week on Harris by visiting the beautiful church at Rodel before another few hours on the beach.

Buying a better seat? by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Window by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Church at Rodel by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Sand sea and mountains by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Traigh Sheileboist by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Tiorga Mor

Postby andyroog » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Well done what an amazing place enjoyed reading that nice pics to.
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:07 am

Great report JK, what a beautiful place to walk and to have it to yourself too....just perfect. Stunning pics as always :clap: love the comment about buying a better seat....though I don't think they'll get far for a dollar :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:20 am

andyroog wrote:Well done what an amazing place enjoyed reading that nice pics to.

Thanks Andy

ChrisW wrote:Great report JK, what a beautiful place to walk and to have it to yourself too....just perfect. Stunning pics as always :clap: love the comment about buying a better seat....though I don't think they'll get far for a dollar :lol:

Cheers Chris, I do find it strange that people contribute change to a church that isn't even collecting to fix a roof or what not :? Looked nice though :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 am

Wonderful pictures as always Anthony...there are not many hills where you can get the whole place to yourself like that.

The church would have certainly interested me and I wonder if the names of the Knights was on those beautifully carved stone slabs?
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Another lovely walk and beautiful views :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Bob the Dog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Great report and your photos are superb...loving the black and white ones. It's a place I've not been to yet...need to check CalMac re dogs on the ferry. One query - can you get by without a car there, and what is the wild camping like as it looks very rocky in your pics?
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Wonderful pictures as always Anthony...there are not many hills where you can get the whole place to yourself like that.

The church would have certainly interested me and I wonder if the names of the Knights was on those beautifully carved stone slabs?

The Church is indeed a fascinating place. They aren't Knights but Chiefs of the MacLeods of Harris. There is one spectacular tomb for Alasdair Crotach MacLeod the 8th Chief of the clan MacLeod. Well worth a visit.

SusieThePensioner wrote:Another lovely walk and beautiful views :thumbup:

Thanks Susie

Bob the Dog wrote:Great report and your photos are superb...loving the black and white ones. It's a place I've not been to yet...need to check CalMac re dogs on the ferry. One query - can you get by without a car there, and what is the wild camping like as it looks very rocky in your pics?

Thanks Bob, dogs are fine on the ferry with only the shops and eateries being out of bounds. There is a public transport system that should help you get around but remember nothing is open on a Sunday nor are there any buses. As for wild camping there are probably plenty of secluded spots on the West coast near to beaches to camp but in the hills I think you'll have to be quite high up. I'm sure somebody will know far better than me but in my experience the ground is seriously rough and boggy lower down. The only firm ground that I've come across is on high ground. I'm sure a question on the general discussion forum might get a better answer.
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 pm

IMG_5501.jpg
Alasdair Crotach MacLeod

A pic of one of the effigies.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland