walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Postby talkingdolphin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 11/08/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1325m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been looking forward to today for a while as I've not been hillwalking as often as i would have liked this year, and also these were to be my 2nd & 3rd Munros. Having only done one Munro previously (Ben Lomond numerous times) and still a fairly new hillwalker the thought of doing two in one day was a tad scary but i was well up for it...were my legs though?

I knew the weather forecast was not great...cloudy, showery, strong winds forecast...but i am well aware of my limitations as a novice hillwalker and if it seemed too bad then i would put it off till another day. So up at 6:30am and off to Succoth car park, which I strolled out of at 07:40am, not bad. On the drive there it rained pretty much the whole way, but as i started off walking it cleared up and the sun was actually out for a bit.

I followed the WH route and just managed to spot the sneaky wee right turn not long after the start of the walk, which gladly avoids the zig zags and heads straight up to Beinn Narnain. At this point I found it pretty tough going up the steep rocky path which was all but a stream given the recent wet weather, the surrounding undergrowth was also heavily overgrown, and I was down to a t-shirt in no time. After a while the trees were left behind and the path became a bit more boggy and it also started to get cloudy & colder. I started layering up again. The winds were definitely picking up. I carried on over the rough ground, including a few wee scrambles, a few false summits and after 2hrs of walking the weather really turned. The clouds, which I was all of a sudden walking through, were whizzing past and the rain started. For split seconds in between the clouds I could see it getting really rocky up ahead and I was hopeful that i was nearing the Spearhead which I had read about. Unfortunately not as it turned out but the rocks ahead provided cover for the ever increasing bad weather so I sheltered there for a while. Almost as quickly as they came, the clouds and the rain blew over and the sun was back out!

Off I continued up and over the rocky ground, finding it hard to be honest but really enjoying the wee scrambly bits. Soon i finally did see the Spearhead and at the same time I could see the clouds fast approaching, firstly engulfing the Cobbler over to the left, then they hit me, along with the pelting rain. I scurried on up to the gully that runs by the Spearhead and again took shelter there for a bit. The rain eased off but the wind really picked up with no sign of abating. I knew i was near the top so i decided just to get going and try and get back down the other side quick as. As i got onto the summit the wind was really blowing so i just headed straight to the trig point, kind of 'hi-5'ing it as i scurried past, and took a quick pic of it with my phone then off down the other side.

As i descended the winds eased off a bit but it started raining again. I had pretty much made my mind up at this point that Beinn Ime could wait for another day. On the way down from Beinn Narnain I met another 3 walkers on their way up, they had came up via the Cobbler path past the Narnain Boulders with the intention of doing Beinn Ime as well after Beinn Narnain, but given the weather they too had conceded just to do one today. 10 minutes later the wind was gone, the rain had stopped and yes...the sun was out. After some careful consideration I decided that Beinn Ime was back on the cards and off i went, straight over the bealach, through the gate and off up the extremely wet and boggy slopes of Beinn Ime.

Compared to the rocky ascent of Beinn Naranin, Beinn Ime was fairly uneventful, very muddy and slippy but thankfully the wind and rain stayed away long enough while I got to the summit. On the summit I was in the clag again and it was very windy. Thankfully there is the big wind break housing the cairn so I was finally able to have a proper rest and a bite to eat in relative calm. I managed to get a few pics in between the clouds then headed back down to the bealach, only slipping once, took a right here and then followed the nice relatively flat path down past the Cobbler, past the Narnain Boulders, past all the tourists, and finally the never ending zig zags back to the car park for just after 2pm.

Overall I found it a hard day, but even with the weather, an enjoyable one.

I only took photos with my phone but its telling me they are too large to add here, so rather than mess about I've just uploaded them to Flickr, link below -
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHrFktu
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Postby andyroog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 am

Well done on your walk we all have to start somewhere, before long you will be racking them off nice one.
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby talkingdolphin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:53 pm

andyroog wrote:Well done on your walk we all have to start somewhere, before long you will be racking them off nice one.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Appreciate it : )
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Postby Scott69 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Well done, I like the Arrochar hills as they were among my first as well, now enjoy exploring the rest of this fine country and its mountains.
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:225   Corbetts:43
Grahams:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby talkingdolphin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Scott69 wrote:Well done, I like the Arrochar hills as they were among my first as well, now enjoy exploring the rest of this fine country and its mountains.

Cheers Scott, I'm sure I will : )
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland