walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bhrotain to Braeriach and back

Bhrotain to Braeriach and back

by basscadet » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Route description: Cairn Toul - Braeriach traverse

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Monadh Mòr, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 10/08/2013

Time taken: 15.5 hours

Distance: 49.4 km

Ascent: 2247m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Bhrotain to Braeriach and back

Postby basscadet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:59 am

ChrisW wrote:wow, great stuff B, bloody good haul too :clap: ...that reindeer calf sure is cute :D

Good haul for Dougie.. A good haul for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds for me :lol:
I think the Braeriach - Devils Point ridge is one of the best bits of the gorms, so it probably wont be my last trip there.. My dad had devils Point earmarked for his last anyways!

jonny616 wrote:Eeee that's a long haul. Well done. weather permitting doing 4 of these on Saturday.

It was a fair walk, but isn't everything in the cairngorms? The hills are so darn big - tall and wide :? Hope you have a good time on Saturday :thumbup:

dogplodder wrote:On that vast plateau it seems a bit unlikely to get so close to the reindeer but to see the wee calf as well is a real bonus! :D Down side of walking with dogs is the smell of them drives wildlife away! :?

It was chance to meet them on the way to the summit, but we like grass for tent pitching and they like grass for eating, so with so little greenery up there, it was almost inevitable that we would cross paths.. :wink:
I had a dog when I was living in Australia who was exceptionally skilled at finding echidnas, but scared off everything else, so I know your predicament.. I would still choose a dog if I had the choice though :)

morag1 wrote:Really enjoyed your report, something really special about the Upland of Mar :D

That's a bit of a mammoth walk, well done to you both :clap:

Glad you enjoyed :D

Bod wrote:Cracking report and pictures there.....love the reindeer. See you soon :) :) :)

Aye, really looking forward to the weekend.. Shame its so far away so it'll be late on Friday before I get there.. :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Sunny Speyside » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Enjoyable report, you seem to be undaunted by inclement weather and the prospect of sore feet, well done :clap:
and 'Awwww' the baby reindeer - just lovely

Cheers
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby basscadet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Sunny Speyside wrote:Enjoyable report, you seem to be undaunted by inclement weather and the prospect of sore feet, well done :clap:
and 'Awwww' the baby reindeer - just lovely

Cheers

Glad you enjoyed :D
It never fails to amaze me how much money some folk spend on waterproofs.. Only to stay at home if the weather forecast says it will be raining :crazy: :lol: Unless you are the wicked witch of the west, I fail to see the danger :wink:
Aye, I was quite taken with the reindeer.. I've always wanted a goat as a hill companion - I figured that a goat would not need food carried, would carry my gear, and be able to cope with a moderate scramble.. But now I think I may of found a new animal I would like as a walking companion :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mrssanta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:30 pm

very nice. that was almost the reverse of what we did last year (or was it the year before cant remember) only we took the bikes to white bridge so we had to go and come the same way.
decent of you letting Dougie increase his tally :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mamoset » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:22 pm

See what you mean, the baba Reindeer are certainly cute. Good long day yomp that one basscadet :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland