walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach

Braeriach

Postby Rogie293 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 14/08/2013

Time taken: 6.4 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1296m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left the Sugar Bowl car park at 12 noon and got a bit of a stomp on to the far end of the Chalamain Gap. The Gap was cleared and back on good path in less than 60 mins!

Finally reached the summit of Braeriach in three and a half hours where the views over to Cairn Toul and Uaine Lochan were absolutely magnificentt. The hanging corrie holding Uaine Lochan was just beautiful to see with the sides of the corrie sweeping down majestically.

High temperatures were replaced by strong buffeting winds on the summit and layers, a hat and gloves were needed. After approx. twenty minutes on the summit, taking pictures and enjoying the sense of accomplishment I headed back down the way I had ascented and made in back to the car in less than three hours.

This was a day for bagging and I hadn't intended hanging around, after a late start, but the tranquillity and the beauty of the route resulted in many pictures being taken and a sense of a great afternoon having been had, a bit of a bonus when the day was very much a spur of the moment decision.
Rogie293
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland