walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Etive

Glen Etive

Postby JohnJoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 14/08/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1470m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I have wanted to see Glen Etive for a few years but never got round to it. So this time I thought I would finally turn off the main road through Glencoe and into this mysterious and supposedly quiet glen. Actually it was very quiet, away from the Glencoe highway, but there were quite a few people - campers mainly. I wasn't surprised to later see a photo of a Landrover which had been completely filled with rubbish after a Glen Etive clean-up. There was discarded clothing lying on the ground where I got out of the car.

DSC_0979 resized.jpg

DSC_0984 resised 2.jpg

Thanks to my customary navigational error (which generally occurs at the start of my walks), I marched up the wrong hill and didn't really realise until I was halfway down the other side. I had done a lot of unnecessary marching up a very steep, pathless, incline and missed out one of the three hills I had intended to climb. With hindsight it was probably a good thing though - the shortened version took me 8 hours anyway and I had a 6 hour drive immediately afterwards so one more munro might have been excessive.

DSC_0993 resised.jpg

DSC_0998 resized.jpg

Otherwise, pretty uneventful. The bright start turned into cloud and mist as I neared the top of Ben Starav, so I wasn't deprived of that 15 minutes of confusion and stumbling round the moonscape in my attempt to find the top.

DSC_1010 resized.jpg

Glen Etive is as nice as the reviews suggest, although a bit more 'populated' than I had expected, and I got the distinct impression from their signs and high fences that the inhabitants are a bit sick of walkers and campers and would prefer it if we just went away and left them and their little glen to themselves.

DSC_1016 resized.jpg
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland