walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 6

Glenshee 6

Postby scotdavid63 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:12 am

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 18/08/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are a few good other reports on this circuit or even the 9 including the Carn Aosda/Cairnwell on the other side of the road, I will try to stick to additive comment
- Creag Leacach start is much more sensible, Carn an Turc would be a rough start; the only downside is that you have to walk 2km back uphill to the car park/start point
- many thanks to the couple who gave me a lift back to my car !
- use Steven Fallon's simple notes taken from the Glenshee 9, they make this route easy to work out, notably for the Tom B and Tolmount hills
- we walked for six hours, took seven all in and if anything maybe slightly less than 18km, do not be put off by route maps that say this is much longer !
- lots of wildlife - we saw one herd of deer >50 and loads of hare, our dog had a ball although I eventually told him to cool it as did not want to carry him off the hill
- really nice route to bag six at once, the high start helps a lot and barring the up and down for the first one to the second one, it's easy except the long march to number six from Tolmount, the previous few are short in between to condition you to expect the same again !!!!
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland