walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kinpurney Hill and Monument

Kinpurney Hill and Monument

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Route description: Kinpurney Hill and Monument, Newtyle

Date walked: 19/08/2013

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 298m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kinpurney monument can be seen from a long way away and I have lost count of the number of times I have told Andrea I wanted to climb this hill only to be told to stop talking about it and go and do it. So, today was the day.

No real reason to give details about directions. Basically all you need to do is park in a car park next to the toilets in Newtyle. Walk out of the village (on Glamis Road) and then at Denend Farm turn right. Follow the track through The Den onto the open hill. The track is then waymarked all the way to the top.

The weather had improved from Craigowl earlier in the morning when there had been a couple of showers and the sun was now out making for a great walk and an enjoyable summit with fantastic views and the monument to wander round thrown in for good measure.

Here are some pics.

1.jpg
Leaving Newtyle

15.jpg
Denend Farm

2.jpg
Looking back to Newtyle

3.jpg
First view of the monument

4.jpg
Monument

6.jpg
and again

7.jpg
and again

10.jpg
and again

5.jpg
Looking out

8.jpg
Looking West

9.jpg
Newtyle

11.jpg
Seat with a view

12.jpg
The Den

13.jpg
Horses with Cat Law in the background

14.jpg
Friendly horse

It may not merit a blue flag but it's a couple of hours well spent :D :D :D
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Kinpurney Hill and Monument

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:30 pm

And NO cows, I'm going! :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 pm

No cows TODAY Rod.............................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Sabbathstevie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Loving all these reports of little known Angus hills.

I'm orignally a Coupar Angus lad and spent many years looking up at the monument on this hill from afar - looks like a good use of an hour or two!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby madasa mongoose » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm

I know these hills really well as up there most weekends with Corrie dog. You can actually walk to Kinpurney hill from the Balkello car park if you fancy a longer, different route - about a 3 hour round trip or 4-5 if you take in the other hills as well. Head up towards Auchterhouse hill (lovely viewpoint) then just follow the tracks heading west - some less obvious than others and buried in heather :) Once you get past the quarry and hit the large forestry track follow this up and past a wee loch down on the right and just after that there's a narrow path, again on the right, down through the heather to a fence at which point you'll see Kinpurney hill and the monument to your left. You can also do a big loop using the tracks over the back (north) of Auchterhouse and Balluderon hill with a bit of bush whacking and following your nose (or a map) to vary the return route back to the car park. Added benefit of being very quiet...so don't tell everyone :wink:
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Sabbathstevie wrote:Loving all these reports of little known Angus hills.

I'm orignally a Coupar Angus lad and spent many years looking up at the monument on this hill from afar - looks like a good use of an hour or two!

hi Sabbathstevie

Glad your enjoying the reports - their good fun to walk as well.

I lived in Blairgowrie for 10 years but I was always looking at long distance walks (with no hills) or Munros and never got round to doing some of the smaller hills. Their well worth the effort as the views are fantastic, this was a great little hill.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:36 pm

madasa mongoose wrote:I know these hills really well as up there most weekends with Corrie dog. You can actually walk to Kinpurney hill from the Balkello car park if you fancy a longer, different route - about a 3 hour round trip or 4-5 if you take in the other hills as well. Head up towards Auchterhouse hill (lovely viewpoint) then just follow the tracks heading west - some less obvious than others and buried in heather :) Once you get past the quarry and hit the large forestry track follow this up and past a wee loch down on the right and just after that there's a narrow path, again on the right, down through the heather to a fence at which point you'll see Kinpurney hill and the monument to your left. You can also do a big loop using the tracks over the back (north) of Auchterhouse and Balluderon hill with a bit of bush whacking and following your nose (or a map) to vary the return route back to the car park. Added benefit of being very quiet...so don't tell everyone :wink:

That's spooky.............I was on Craigowl & Balluderon hills earlier in the morning when I remembered a report from earlier in the year describing the route you mention. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to walk over to Kinpurney so jumped in the car and headed for Newtyle to climb it from there.

Looking over to Kinpurney from Craigowl it did look quite appealing - one for another day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby dunrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Looks like you had a cracking day for this walk geordie. We were up kinpurney a couple of weeks ago and like you got great views. And NO there were no cows that day either.
dunrock
Bird-watcher

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:11   
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland