walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Falls of Foyers - bigger than you think

Falls of Foyers - bigger than you think

Postby denfinella » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Route description: Falls of Foyers

Date walked: 29/07/2013

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 150m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

No-one has written a proper walk report for the Falls of Foyers yet, so I though I'd add my scribblings to the site. At the end of July / beginning of August we had a four day break in Inverness, traveling out each day to explore some of the surrounding area. A minor injury to my better half prevented us from more strenuous hill walks, but there was more than enough to keep us going. Day 1, Monday, provided an opportunity to head clockwise around Loch Ness.

First stop: Dores, with the well-known "Nessie-Catcher" van parked up by the roadside. Some lovely morning views down the loch, ahead of the forecast thundery showers.

1.jpg

Then on to Foyers itself, stuck behind a slow, old caravan most of the way, which was worryingly leaking something onto the road the whole time. Once kitted out at the small parking area, we headed across the road and down the clear earthy path into the forest. Unusually for a walkhighlands walk, this is steep downhill but ends with a sharp ascent!

Not long until we were at the falls. And wow, they really are impressive - surely one of the tallest in Scotland for a river of its size. As usual, photos don't do justice to the scale. This was after an extended dry spell (albeit with some rain the previous day).

2.jpg

After a short backtrack to a junction, the path follows the rim of the gorge, steadily descending towards Loch Ness. Unsurprisingly, the gorge is impressively deep as well - somehow continental in nature - although trees make it hard to get an unobstructed view down.

3.jpg

There are signs telling you about red squirrels on the way down, still on well-made footpaths down to a view of the River Foyers bridges.

4.jpg

Soon we were down at the lakeside, which turned out to be something of a disappointment today. A caravan, new housing estate and something to do with Scottish water (or similar)... and, to our horror, Fly Central. They followed us around the loop here mercilessly, making us feel hurried and itchy as only flies can. Not the best state to be in for the steep walk back up!

So we arrived back at the car sticky and aching. With hindsight we might have omitted the loch part, although this would be a worthwhile addition on a colder or windier day. Still, the waterfalls themselves were breathtaking - and definitely worth a visit if you're visiting Loch Ness.

Finally, just a few other highlights from the rest of the day:

5.jpg
Next stop - a wee wander up Carn an t-Suidhe

6.jpg

7.jpg
Fort Augustus - extremely touristy, but surprisingly nice

8.jpg

9.jpg
View up the loch from Fort Augustus

10.jpg
Invermoriston

11.jpg
Invermooriston

12.jpg
Invermushroomston

13.jpg
Urquhart Castle - surrounded by storm clouds

14.jpg

15.jpg
Slightly piddly but easily accessible Divach Falls

No sooner had we got back in the car to head back to Inverness it poured down. Upon reaching the B&B we were greeted by something along the lines of, "you must have had a very wet day! It's rained all day here..." Cue relieved smiles...

Next day: Tarbat Ness: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35427&p=208458#p208458
Last edited by denfinella on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Falls of Foyers - bigger than you think

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:07 am

Oh looked amazing :thumbup: Haven't been there since I was a nipper.. In fact I caught my first fish at Foyers... They really start biting when they open the floodgates. Thanks for posting :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby denfinella » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks basscadet :) I'd forgotten there was a dam upstream - would have been even more impressive if they'd been open I guess!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Moon2910 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:52 am

Thanks for posting your report of the Falls of Foyers. We have a two week holiday booked in Scotland for next summer and this walk will be one of many on our list to do whilst we are there.

Also, I love the photo of the cute Highland Coo. I'm totally obsessed with these beauties.
Moon2910
Walker

Postby denfinella » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:43 am

Thank you Moon2910! It was 10 years ago that I was there - must go back sometime :)

Good luck with all your trip planning.
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:06 am

You can be lucky or unlucky with this one: due to the upstream dam, there is sometimes very little water coming over the falls.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland