walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cairnwell, Carn Aosda & Carn a'Gheoidh

The Cairnwell, Carn Aosda & Carn a'Gheoidh

Postby talkingdolphin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 18/08/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 595m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second walk with a hillwalking group and it was very enjoyable. I had been staying up at Glenmore Forest in a campervan with my family so it was a good end to a great weekend up in the Cairngorms to finish with a nice hill walk & also double my Munro tally to boot : ) After last weeks hill walk i was really looking forward to this one as on paper it should have been a fair bit easier going...and it was: )

The drive from Glenmore was a tad more than i was expecting to be honest, took us just under 2 hours in the camper van, so my family were up early with me for the drive to Glenshee Ski Centre to meet up with the rest of the walking group for a 10am start. It was an enjoyable drive though so no complaints. Wildlife sightings on the drive included, deer, pair of ravens, buzzards, curlew, some grouse and there was also at least 3 dozen road kill rabbits! some very fresh : (

Got to the ski centre with plenty of time and met up with the group. Mostly all new faces since it was only my second outing with them. There was loads of us but thankfully no messing about and off up the hill we went. In what seemed like no time at all we were at the summit of our first Munro of the day, Carn Aosda. I really couldn't believe it. It was a steep ascent up the rocky, stony path and I suppose it felt even quicker and time passed more freely since we were in a big group and plenty of chatting going on as we got to know each other. We didn't hang about long at the summit as the wind got up and also the rain started. Luckily it was just a quick shower however the wind was to stay a bit longer.

So off we headed to The Cairnwell. This was a bit more of a trek but still not quite 'mountainy' feeling due to all the ski apparatus. We followed the obvious rocky track and again it was quite a quick short walk to the summit and Munro number 2 of the day. Even though I had read many of the previous user reports of this walk, i had it in my head that a mountain top is a mountain top and i wouldn't let the ski stuff & buildings, masts etc. spoil that feeling. Wrong. The only saving grace was the views as long as you had your back to all things metallic. Also the view over to Carn a'Gheoidih was good and I was looking forward to the next section of the walk.

After lunch off we set for Munro number 3 of the day. This section proved to be a much more enjoyable walk and it was starting to sink in that I was hillwalking in the Cairngorms, bagging Munros. Superb. After last week (Beinn Narnain & Ime) I was really enjoying this comparatively easy walking. When we got to the summit of Carn a'Gheoidh it was extremely windy. Given there was so many of us the wee windbreak was soon full, but we stopped for a quick bite to eat. It looked as if rain was on the way so we didn't stay long though. The leader told us we could be back down in less than an hour if we didn't hang about and maybe avoid the rain...we didn't need telling twice, it had been such a great day so far so we wanted to avoid any rain literally dampening our spirits.

Sure enough less than an hour later and we were heading down the road next to the chair lifts, and we successfully avoided any soaking. My wife had spotted us coming down the hill from the camper van and had popped an early dinner on the stove, happy days (I was easy to spot coming down the hill with my wee red wooly pom-pommed bunnet - bought at the opening day of the 'Build a Statue of Tom Weir at Loch Lomond Campaign).

So a great end to a great weekend, good times : )

Link to photos below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/talkingdolphin/sets/72157635141045737/
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: The Cairnwell, Carn Aosda & Carn a'Gheoidh

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Some nice photographs there talkingdolphin! looks like them hills were abusy :) , and that the rain stayed off :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:46 pm

I really enjoyed reading your report as I am really hoping to complete these three to get my count up from 1 :lol: need to get a move on before the winter comes in. I can see some areas don't have the same beauty but I think you have captured what an attractive area it is if you block out the ski damage and buildings. Looks like you had a great day out
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby talkingdolphin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:04 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Some nice photographs there talkingdolphin! looks like them hills were abusy :) , and that the rain stayed off :D

Thanks Rodmiester, yeah we were quite lucky with the weather. There was 40+ of us from the walking group so we made it busy! : )
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Postby talkingdolphin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Sarah86 wrote:I really enjoyed reading your report as I am really hoping to complete these three to get my count up from 1 :lol: need to get a move on before the winter comes in. I can see some areas don't have the same beauty but I think you have captured what an attractive area it is if you block out the ski damage and buildings. Looks like you had a great day out

Thanks Sarah, it was a great day out. I've mostly been hillwalking on my own up until now, but now I'm tackling some Munros I felt I should join a group for company/safety. These 3 were comparatively easy compared to other hills I've climbed. I did find the previous reports I read of these hills a bit off putting, but I did really enjoy them...the weather helped too...as well as being able to say I done 3 Munros in one day! :D I'm sure you'll enjoy them too.
talkingdolphin
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland