walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moonrise over Trotternish (Quiraing and Storr)

Moonrise over Trotternish (Quiraing and Storr)

Postby Lenore » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Date walked: 19/07/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 350m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the morning of July 16 Rocket-Ron dropped me off at the Inverness bus station and half a day later I found myself just outside Flodigarry, ready to start my walk to the Quiraing, along the Trotternish Ridge, and from the Storr along the coast into Portree. I timed my start so that I would arrive above the Quiraing late afternoon with ample time to pitch my tent before the evening light would turn golden. Then up early for sunrise over the Quiraing. Judging the photos I'd already seen this place could be a photographer's dream in the right weather!!

But, as we all know, we don't always get the right weather :? When I arrived at the northern edge of the Quiraing the fog was so dense I could not see more than 10 meters around me. Further down things opened up a bit, but it was clear the cloud base was at about 350 meters and not going anywhere. The prison drifted in and out of view. This was the best I would get:

Quiraing by Eleonora F, on Flickr

I could not make out Bioda Buidhe, the first bump on the ridge. In fact, I could not even see the ridge at all! Mindful of the German guy who had fallen to his death while camping above the Storr just a week before, I decided not to venture into the cloud. I pitched my tent right there at the 'start' of the ridge in the hopes of better weather the next day. It started raining and blowing and I turned in early. The morning, however, turned out even worse. Even less visibility, with the whole Quiraing gone. I packed up the wet tent at early-o'clock and made it down to the bus stop in time for the first bus back to Portree. No Trotternish Ridge for me, not this time.

I wouldn't be posting a report if there was nothing to tell or to show, though, would I now?! :)

The weather cleared 36 hours later and though I'd missed my 'window' to walk the ridge, by then I'd met an Australian girl in Broadford who was also traveling alone. She had a car and hadn't seen the Quiraing yet so after we'd both had a full day walking in other parts of Skye, we drove up for what would prove to be a stunning evening. Encountered some 'locals' on the road first:

The Storr by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Here I have to admit we didn't do much walking, only wandered around and took photos, but I hope you'll forgive me for that :wink:

First glimpse of the whole ridge, from Storr to Bioda Buidhe, with the moon rising above:

Storr, precious little Cleat, and Bioda Buidhe:

I think I camped somewhere up there:

Couldn't get enough of that enormous moon:

On top of the road pass next to the Quiraing, just above the parking lot. Looking towards the ridge from a bit higher up now:

Loch Leum na Luirginn, Loch Cleat, Cleat, Bioda Buidhe and the Storr between the two in the back. White houses of Staffin in the distance:

Bioda Buidhe and another high point on the ridge behind, Beinn Edra maybe?

Quiraing pinnacles in silhouette:

Yes, that's me happy :D :

We drove back down to the STorr but first stopped off at Quilt Rock. Not much there but a lovely viewpoint for staring out to the sea and spotting wispy clouds:

Kilt Rock by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Kilt Rock by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Then the Storr and the Old man. This one's from the drive up, a few hours earlier:

And that's a last look:

And with the light fading it was time to get back into the hired wheels and drive back to Broadford (one of the red Cuillin in back; not sure of the name):

DSC08866 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

A lovely evening!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Moonrise over Trotternish (Quiraing and Storr)

Postby ChrisW » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Great report Lenore, you might have missed out on the ridge but there wouldn't have been much joy in it with those conditions. I'm glad you decided to include your "wandering around taking photos" shots as they are stunning and a great reminder of a week on Skye that my wife and I had before we came out to Canada...really enjoyed this :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 pm

lovely pictures, I specially like the one with the sheep, the light is fantastic.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Lenore » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report Lenore, you might have missed out on the ridge but there wouldn't have been much joy in it with those conditions. I'm glad you decided to include your "wandering around taking photos" shots as they are stunning and a great reminder of a week on Skye that my wife and I had before we came out to Canada...really enjoyed this :clap:

Thanks Chris! And yes, you're right, would have been miserable probably anyway. It's alright, it'll be there another year :wink: And thank you for explaining how to do the multiple quotes :lol:

mrssanta wrote:lovely pictures, I specially like the one with the sheep, the light is fantastic.

Thank you mrssanta! We meant to be out there before the sun set behind the ridge but ended up leaving a bit too late :roll: Think that was actually fortunate as the light was so lovely and soft.
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:56 pm

A cracking set of photos, Lenore, even the misty one!

Maybe next time for the walk along the ridge...it'll still be there :wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:12 am

some amazing photos there Lenore :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:08 am

Lovely photos Lenore, Skye normally rewards you eventually I find :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby litljortindan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 pm

I think the hill in the background of the last pic is Glamaig. I've often thought the post sunset light is sometimes even better than the sunset but never had the proper equipment to capture that.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm

just got round to finishing reading this - lovely set of photos, Lenore - bet you were happy with your trip - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Stunning photos :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland