walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Date walked: 16/02/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 960m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this hill last year from Glen Creran but as we were in Glencoe for a few days and it was on my daughter’s to do list we decided to have a go at it from Glen Etive. Although this route does involve walking through a forestry plantation it is nowhere near as bad as some people make out – in fact of the two routes I preferred it. The walk in from Elleric was incredibly boggy and nowhere near as scenic. There is about 3km of forestry to walk through before you get to the open hillside but it only takes about half an hour or so.
beinn fhionnlaidh from the edge of the forestry.jpg
it was there a minute ago.jpg
Then it is downhill to cross a burn by two very dodgy corrugated iron bridges.
dodgy bridge.jpg

There is a reasonable path leading up the hill to the right of a gorge
the gorge.jpg
and onto the bealach between Meall nan Gobhar and Beinn Fhionnlaidh.
up to the bealach.jpg
resting in the sun.jpg
Behind there are brilliant views of Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor and Stob Coir an Albannaich and as we gained height we could see Ben Cruachan as well.
ben starav.jpg
looking back.jpg
Once at the bealach the climb to the ridge was quite steep in soft snow. We didn’t go to the spot height at 841 but arrived at the ridge to its west.
beinn sgulaird.jpg
From there it was a pleasant walk along to the summit
looking towards the summit.jpg
with Sgor na h-Ulaidh to our right and Beinn a’Bheithir in the distance.
beinn a'bheithir.jpg
climbing the summit ridge.jpg
There was an ice covered rocky step to negotiate before we reached the summit after about 2 ¾ hours.
a cheese sandwich at the summit.jpg
From there we looked across to Fraochaidh which we had done a couple of days earlier.
fraochaidh.jpg
We could see some nasty weather approaching so we left the ridge at its midpoint on the return journey
going down.jpg
and followed some fence posts for a few hundred meters before contouring round the bealach again and making our way back to the bridge and the forest in a snow storm.

The weather cleared up as we drove back to Glencoe and we had to stop for some photos.
buachaille etive mor.jpg
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Some great pics there - I especially liked the 'was there a minute ago' and the bridge one! I like dodgy bridges but that one really did look bad! Love the photo as you descended from the ridge showing the correct use of ice axe when traversing... :D
mountain coward

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Postby Milesy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 pm

fantastic shot of the bookle! love it 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland