walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn

Bla Bheinn

Postby drammy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 18/08/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When - 18th August 2013
Munro - Bla Bheinn
Who - drammy, Mrs.drammy, meagaidh
Time - 4hr 30m
weather - Overcast but a few bright spells

After a summer of pretty decent weather we were optimisitc about our forthcoming weekend trip to Skye....thats was until the weather forecast came out!!!!
We travelled up on Friday and had some plans for some of the "easier" skye munros, staying in a Hostel in Broadford. After a good meal at the Gabbro bar at the Broadford Hotel and a few beers we returned to the hostel for a quick beer and early night.
Well that didn't happen!!!!....the hostel owners, who were amazingly nice, invited us to their bonfire party and before long it was 2am and our weekend supply of booze was gone!!! A good time was had by all but it was gonna hurt in the morning.
Surprisingly we made it to the carpark a short drive from Sligachan ready to attempt Bruach na Frithe.
As we sat in the car which was rocking with the wind and watching the rain beating off the windows....a quick decision was made to forget walking that day.
A bit sad but with ferocious winds and hangovers it was the right thing to do...after all we still had Sunday.

We were so determined that we would be walking on Sunday that we even turned down an invite out on the saturday night....keeping clear heads this time!!
In the morning we took the short drive from Broadford through Torrin and onto the parking area for Bla Bheinn.

The weather was night and day from yesterday.
DSC00951 by drammy1, on Flickr

5 minutes into the walk and we were down to t-shirts. Its a great path to walk in, very easy going.
DSC00950 by drammy1, on Flickr

Soon after crossing a small stream the path began climbing uphill.
DSC00953 by drammy1, on Flickr

Looking back down.
DSC00955 by drammy1, on Flickr

We were conscious not to walk too far and miss the point where to turn right and head uphill. This was easier as it was clear but could be missed in the clag.
A small lochan should be opposite of where you turn uphill.
DSC00960 by drammy1, on Flickr

An easy to follow path works its way uphill
DSC00961 by drammy1, on Flickr

Up on the ridge there are a few nice spots to climb out and take in the views, the weather was closing in again though and the jackets were back on.
DSC00962 by drammy1, on Flickr
DSC00966 by drammy1, on Flickr

The views were limited but a few clear spells.
DSC00971 by drammy1, on Flickr

But a claggy summit....typical!!!!
DSC00974 by drammy1, on Flickr
DSC00975 by drammy1, on Flickr

Some scree to negotiate on the way up and down but nothing too demanding.
DSC00977 by drammy1, on Flickr

we met a few groups on their way up as we came down. Looked like they would luck out with the views that we never got as it really brightened up later on.
DSC00980 by drammy1, on Flickr
pano by drammy1, on Flickr

Overall we were just glad to finally score a tick on one of the island munros, slightly disappointed by saturdays weather but a top weekend all the same.
drammy
Mountaineer

Munros:260   

Re: Bla Bheinn

Postby PeteR » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Very nice report drammy :D

You got some nice shots there, but it was a shame you missed the summit views.

I was one of the three people you met near the lower scramble. I'd have been easily recogniseable as I was struggling just a little on the day and lagging behind my fellow walkers :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby davetherave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:57 am

As with you guys, this is the only Munro we have completed on skye also. Really need to make a start on the main ridge proper, one day soon I hope.
Our last trip to Skye several weeks ago kept us occupied on the red cuillin hills, but luckily for us we got good viewa over to the main ridge.

Good report with some great pics of Bla Bheinn. .... cheers.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:56 am

Well done in getting your first Blue Balloon on Skye! :) that made up for Saturdays atrocious conditions. You did better than me I only managed a wee Graham at the back of Broadford on the Friday with no views from the summit :( , Beinn na Caillich, a right knee jerker with lots of rock hopping. Luckily I was camping near the Sligachan Hotel so quiet a time was spent in there with the rest of the WH members :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland