walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise

Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise

Postby quagga64 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 06/09/2013

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left the house at 7:10 and drove up M9 then A84 through Callander, stopped at Kilmahog and took some photos of Hamish the highland bull, Zoe phoned to say people were at her house viewing her Fiat Punto so I had to stop in viewpoint layby overlooking Loch Tulla and speak to her, the couple ended up buying the car for £400. Arrived at White Corries ski centre at 9:25 and set off walking at 9:30. Weather was okay, dry all day and clear almost all through apart from a short spell when it got misty at the summit of Meall a'Bhuiridh. walk begins steeply up under the line of the chairlift before you arrive at a large flat boggy section where there are more ski ing buildings and chair lifts which go all the way to the top of Meall a'Bhuiridh. After crossing the flat section climbed up the broad flanc and saw quite a few deer which didnt seem too scared. Further up it became very stoney but fairly easy going, came upon the summit all of a sudden, there was great views over Rannoch Moor and some more ski lift buildings. had a bite to eat, there wasnt much wind at all, after a while I headed off from the summit quite steeply down to a col that links Meall a'Bhuiridh to Creise, after a short steep climb the summit ridge is reached and I turned Northwards towards the central highest summit of Creise, met a couple coming in the opposite direction before reaching the cairn, after a short rest and another snack I continued northwards to the Northern summit Stob a'Ghlais Choire, great views of Buchaille Etive Mor to the West and the Nevis range was clearly visible to the distant Northwest. then walked South right along the full length of the ridge to Clach Leathad, the Southern top which untill 1981 was regarded as the munro as it was thought to be the highest point but is in fact 3 feet lower than the centre peak. After a short rest in the windbreak I retraced my steps all the way back, finding the climb back up to Meall a'Bhuiridh tough going as the legs were beginning to tire. Got back to car at 4;55 and had an uneventfull drive home, covering the 90 miles in 2 hours.
Attachments
rsz_1103.jpg
Stob Dearg, the Northernmost munro of Buchaille Etive Mor with Ben Nevis & the CMD arete behind
quagga64

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland