walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Heaval

Heaval

Postby Premlal » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Route description: Heaval, from Castlebay

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sheabhal (Barra)

Date walked: 05/08/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 274m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last year, on a 2 weeks trip including the Outer Hebrides and then Assynt and Wester Ross I discovered Barra. I got my first look at those white sandy beaches I kept seeing pictures of. It was quite a shock back then mostly the emptiness of the aforementioned beaches. So I walked around a bit, went up Theiseabhal Mor and then relaxed on the beach after a quick cool down in the Atlantic. I thought about going up Heaval but the pleasure of sunbathing prevented that and it was postponed to the following day. As you will have guessed, the following day was...wet and windy so Heaval was cancelled and a good reason to come back.

This time should the weather allow Heaval was therefore a must-do. I arrived from Oban at around 8:30pm with the sun falling behind Barra outlining Heaval in a beautiful manner:

I then went to Vatersay to enjoy the end of the sunset:

The following day, the weather was ... cloudy but dry so I decided to have a go at Heaval. I set off at 7am from the car park (saving the walk up from Castlebay).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

One of the nice thing about about Heaval is that very early you get nice views over Castlebay and the Bishop Isles and this accompanies you throughout the walk. Mind you some may see that as a spoiler and prefer getting the views just toward the end.

I reached the summit in about 1 hour. The path is fairly faint and a bit steep in some places so I missed "Our Lady of the Isles" and maybe there is a quicker route but never mind it wasn't a race! The sky remained relatively cloudy along the ascent and the top was pretty windy. I decided that the wind might move the clouds away and open up some blue skies so waited at the top enjoying the fact that I was the highest man for miles around :lol: :

Handbrake parking with a ferry that's brave!

After an hour at the top it did indeed clear up and the sun started to brighten up the area and that was lovely:
http://youtu.be/mTVsHFEUs0M

After another hour and a half I decided to head down and say hello to the Lady in white on the way down.

All in all a lovely walk which I'm very glad to have done. I'm pretty sure I will do it again next time I'm visiting Barra.

Cheers

Premlal
Premlal
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Heaval

Postby GillC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Magical pictures, and tell me,,what DID Scooby Doo? lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Some fantastic picture there. Glad to see your patience paid off.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby John Doh » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Great report and pics!

Did the same walk about two weeks ago and was not so lucky to get to the top :( Still got a few decent views ;)

And Barra is awesome!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35244&p=207564&hilit=uist#p207564
John Doh

Islands:39

Postby Premlal » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:21 pm

GillC wrote:Magical pictures, and tell me,,what DID Scooby Doo? lol

Well I'll tell you one thing he did: fall over!

John Doh wrote:Great report and pics!

Did the same walk about two weeks ago and was not so lucky to get to the top :( Still got a few decent views ;)

And Barra is awesome!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35244&p=207564&hilit=uist#p207564

Yes, I've seen the report I'm still amazed by the pink/purple sunet
Premlal
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   

Postby FischmungaXTR » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:42 am

Hello, I just signed up to this forum as I'm searching desperately for a good picture of Heaval to use for CD artwork for a folk EP.
Premlal, your photos are excellent! exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. If you are interested in giving permission to use one of the photos please reply so we can discuss further :)
FischmungaXTR
Rambler

Postby kevsbald » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Cracking wee report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland