walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie & Me 1 - 0 Hamstring

Ben Chonzie & Me 1 - 0 Hamstring

Postby Backpacker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 25/08/2013

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As some of you know I tweaked my hamstring last week. The doc said to give it 3-4 weeks before I ventured back onto the hills, I lasted 3-4 days before the boredom kicked in.

I wanted back out asap so I thought I choose something easy as a trial run, I thought of Chonzie but the weather wasn't to be great regarding visibility, I also had Challum in the back of my mind as well, after checking the Met Office website the visibility for both was to be pretty good, so this morning I flipped a coin and Chonzie won.

I parked up about 0830/0845 and was off for about 9, there was a couple of other cars parked up but that would change later on. I set off up what started off as a pretty good track and the sky was wide and blue, brilliant.

I made my way up what was initially a decent track but the further you went the rougher it seemed to get but nothing serious, felt the odd twinge but nothing serious, a wee stop now and then was all that was required. I stopped at the crossroads for a wee sit down and a ciggie where I bumped into a WH member (I never got his username) and after a wee blether we sort of just walked up together, from here the going was good, no twinges or complaints and once passed the initial wee steep bit it was a pleasant walk up to the summit, unfortunately the clag was starting to roll in and once we reached the summit, although the visibility wasn't bad in the immediate area, there were no views to be had,

After a wee sit down, something to eat and a summit ciggie we headed back down and surprise, surprise, the clag was starting to slowly break up and clear and by the time we got back to the crossroads, the blue sky that had disappeared, returned

As we descended the views from the ascent reappeared making it quite a pleasant walk back down, unfortunately about 10 mins from the car, the twinge was starting to become a twang and a bit of discomfort, being a hardy sort :lol: I walked through it till we got back to the carpark.

It was a decent day out, just unfortunate that the clag rolled when it did. I might make a point of heading back up later in my bagging career to check out the views from the summit.

Start of the day by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Wind Shelter by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Ben Chonzie Summit Cairn by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Remaining photo's can be found at the link below

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151853564226926.1073741839.545136925&type=1&l=7ee7ef5994
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Ben Chonzie & Me 1 - 0 Hamstring

Postby kev_russ » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Nice pics. :) Yi cannae beat the Fonzie for a wee leg stretch!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Ben Chonzie & Me 1 - 0 Hamstring

Postby Backpacker » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm

kev_russ wrote:Nice pics. :) Yi cannae beat the Fonzie for a wee leg stretch!

It was a surprisingly decent walk and popular
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland