walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach, because I'm worth it!!!

Aonach Eagach, because I'm worth it!!!

Postby maryhillmoose » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 11/08/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are many excellent walk reports already so I won't add too much else, adding my name is the most important bit!!! After a summer of adventures that included a solo wild camping trip up the back half of the WHW my confidence was sky high...I had hauled myself and my pack up onto the Steal ridge on one of those glorious hot days at the beginning of July and stared across at the Aonach Eagach ridge, then again a day later as the bus sped me southwards, and I made my mind up...
Four weeks later I poked my head out of my tent at the Red Squirrel to a grey and rather damp morning...picked up my friend and her husband and off we went. Simple as that!! Weather was a mix of bright spells and showers that passed through quickly, some mist hung around on the north side of the ridge obscuring our view on occasion and making for some slippy/greasy holds. I love scrambling and am not too bad with exposure and would say to anyone thinking about the ridge that the exposure is not as bad as is often reported, but the scrambling was more difficult than I expected, I had to focus 100% and was quite exhausted once across the ridge due to my brain working serious overtime!!! We descended via the Pap as recommended. Already thinking about another chance this year do it again!!! A few pics on flicker..
www.flickr.com/photos/62356406@N02/sets/72157635226711819/
maryhillmoose
Mountaineer

Munros:27   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Aonach Eagach, because I'm worth it!!!

Postby GillC » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Fantastic, well done. :clap: I'm off to the AE on Wednesday, be at the Red Squirrel too lol We have a group of WH members meeting up, a BIG first for me, can't wait :shock:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby maryhillmoose » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:13 pm

You will love it!!!!
maryhillmoose
Mountaineer

Munros:27   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Really enjoyed your photos - very inspirational. :clap:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Some great photo's, getting myself all excited - Wednesday here we come, looks like my camera will be v busy :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland