walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Battock from Glen Dye

Mount Battock from Glen Dye

Postby SiGerrard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:17 pm

Route description: Mount Battock via Clachnaben

Corbetts included on this walk: Mount Battock

Date walked: 26/08/2013

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1023m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Looked like it was going to be cloudy in the east so chose a walk where I could get some exercise and sunshine. Glen Dye is quite close to my home, just 45mins. Got up to a beautiful blue sky, made my usual lunch of pasta and tuna, packed my rucksack and set off, arriving at the Clachnaben carpark at 1040hrs.
Car Park.jpg
Quarry Car Park

Unfortunatley, low cloud was abound in Glen Dye at about 300m. Still I was hopefull it would burn off in the afternoon, so set off on the hard core track down into Glen Dye.
Clachnaben in cloud.jpg
Clachnaben in cloud

By the time I was halfway into Glen Dye the cloud was already clearing 500m and Clachnaben came into sight.
Fog Clearing.jpg
Clachnaben clear of cloud.

I passed Chlachnaben on the right hand side, not bothering to climb the volcanic summit. I felt it would be better on the way back to get some good views if the cloud cleared.
The path across the top to Mount Battock is well reported as being a Grouse Stalker highway. I past a bothy on the way which had it's own gas oven, but that was nothing compared to what looked like an estate entertainment venue a mile before Mount Battock.
Stalkers Function Suite.jpg
How the other half holiday
Inside.jpg
Comfy inside
ready for lunch.jpg
Lunchtime I think.

The cloud cover on Mount Battock had cleared and I was hopefull for some nice views from the top. Continuing up to reach the summit at 1420hrs.
summit.jpg
Mount Battock summit
Way Back.jpg
Way Home

The return was back the same route with the sun now beating down giving some nice views of Clachnaben.
Clachnaben.jpg
Clachnaben
Glen Dye from Clachnaben.jpg
View from top of Glen Dye

This was a great walk though a bit sore on the soles of the feet due to the hard base paths all the way. I arrived back at the quarry car park at 1745hrs.
Attachments

mount-battock.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

SiGerrard

Munros:107   Corbetts:14
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Mount Battock from Glen Dye

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks for the internal shots, there was a 4x4 parked outside when I did this so I didn't get the chance to be nosy (like you!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was a bit negative about what they've done to the top of these hills but I still enjoyed the walk - looks like you had a good day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby SiGerrard » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi Gordie,
I imagine it gets quite busy up there in August but I didn't see anybody all day apart from the Clachnaben part. I was pretty shocked by the amount of bulldozing to make the roadway, and my first thought on seeing the entertainment cabin was of someone saying it's my land I'll do what I bl**dy want. After a few hours contemplation, I started to think maybe that's just todays use of the land and is it much really that different from the eroded footpaths of Glenshee, or the vast windfarms and awfull tracks being made for their pylons.

Like you I thought I'd show what was there and try not to pass opinion, even though it's quite hard not to. Perhaps I should just be thankfull we live in a country where we are free to see such sight, and many more beautiful ones.
I really would have loved a can of juice or stronger from their cabin though. :D
SiGerrard

Munros:107   Corbetts:14
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:11 pm

Beautiful scenery up that way, I really enjoyed the walk to Clachnaben I did last year, love the sea of purple heather at this time of year
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi Si,

Blimey, that posh cabin wasn't there last time I was up Clachnaben! It looks like the tracks have been, ahem, "improved" too?

Shooting for the "convenience" generation of Gun I guess ?

Still a good hill though....

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland