walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag nan Gabhar & Morrone

Creag nan Gabhar & Morrone

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag nan Gabhar, Morrone

Date walked: 27/08/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 23.4 km

Ascent: 1066m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After 5 days in the garage I finally have my car back so time to get out and do a couple of hills before I find myself back in work bemoaning my lack of days out.

I liked the look of Creag nan Gabhar, having walked up Glen Callater so many times over the years (heading for various different Munros) I had never done this Corbett.

1.jpg
Car Park at Auchallater - £2.50 Contribution!!

2.jpg
Usual start heading towards Loch Callater

An easy first kilometre to get the legs going then a right turn up a bulldozed track and the climbing starts. It's quite a steep climb initially heading North before turning and heading South up a broad ridge.

3.jpg
Looking up Glen Callater

4.jpg
Looking South along the ridge

The gradient eases along the ridge with views opening up down to Braemar and Ben Avon, over to Lochnagar, down to Loch Callater and the hills beyond as well as up Glen Clunie.

5.jpg
Loch Callater

6.jpg
First view of the summit

After an hour and three quarters I was on the summit.

7.jpg
Creag nan Gabhar summit

8.jpg
Summit 2

9.jpg
Braemar

10.jpg
Return track

Initially, my plan was to head for Loch Callater and then return on the main track but on the summit of Creag nan Gabhar I decided to take in Morrone as well so I just retraced my steps.

12.jpg
Callater Burn

Back at the car in under 3 hours and looking forward to Morrone. Creag nan Gabhar was good fun, strange how you can be in an area you are so familiar with and just a different track gives totally different angles and views of hills - what a change from the usual walk up Glen Callater.

Back at the car park I headed South along the road for about 100 yards to the end of the fence on the right where a small track meanders down to a bridge over Clunie Water. Once over the bridge, the track follows the far bank to the corner of the fence then follows the fence away from the river and up to the minor road that runs down to Braemar. The track up Morrone is only about 20 yards down the road towards Braemar so very quickly I'm heading up on to the lower slopes of the hill. The gradient was comfortable and it was an easy walk, gaining height fairly quickly.

14.jpg
Start of track up Morrone

15.jpg
Nearly stood on this guy.............

When I reached a point where the views to the North were visible I just had to stop and take them in. This is probably the best hill I've ever been on for views to the Cairngorms - absolutely stunning.

16.jpg
Photos just don't do this view justice

17.jpg
Morrone summit

19.jpg
Mast on summit

The views are so good from this hill that the mast and building just don't matter. I was on the summit for longer than any hill recently just taking in all the hills in a 360 panorama :D :D

Like Creag nan Gabhar it would be better to do this hill as a circular but I decided to just retrace my steps and head back down the same way I came.

20.jpg
Track back to Auchallater

21.jpg
Looking down to Auchallater

Back down in the glen it's surprising how warm it is, a really warm finish in the late August sunshine.

22.jpg
Clunie Water

24.jpg
Clunie Water (again)

25.jpg
Clunie Water (and again)

26.jpg
And finally...........

Back at the car the temperature gauge is showing 75, probably an exaggeration but it was really warm in the sun. It made for a good walk putting these two Corbetts together.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Creag nan Gabhar & Morrone

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 am

I was reading this and not recognised the hill Gordie, I approached from the South shoulder from the Allt a' Mhaide gully quite steep in winter conditions. It's a nice easy stroll coming down the long North ridge, and as you say good views all around, I saved £2.50 though :lol: :lol: but had to endure a walk along the road back to the car at the end of the day :( Morrone also a fine vantage point! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:34 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:I was reading this and not recognised the hill Gordie, I approached from the South shoulder from the Allt a' Mhaide gully quite steep in winter conditions. It's a nice easy stroll coming down the long North ridge, and as you say good views all around, I saved £2.50 though :lol: :lol: but had to endure a walk along the road back to the car at the end of the day :( Morrone also a fine vantage point! :)

Hi Rod - had I done this as a circular your route up would have been my way down then I would have headed round to Loch Callater. The ridge I took from the North is wide but really good views (at least I thought they were good until I was on top of Morrone - fantastic).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi Gordie

You're right about the views from Morrone, an absolute cracker. I ascended from Braemar which was also a lovely way to do it. I only recently mapped Creag nan Gabhar for a quick walk/run on a return from Aberdeen. If you ever head back to Braemar you should take a quick walk up Creag Choinnich - the hill that overlooks Braemar. The views per effort ratio is excellent!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:53 pm

gmr82 wrote:Hi Gordie

You're right about the views from Morrone, an absolute cracker. I ascended from Braemar which was also a lovely way to do it. I only recently mapped Creag nan Gabhar for a quick walk/run on a return from Aberdeen. If you ever head back to Braemar you should take a quick walk up Creag Choinnich - the hill that overlooks Braemar. The views per effort ratio is excellent!

Hi Gav

You might not enjoy Creag nan Gabhar as much as Morrone, the views aren't as good but having done all the Munros in this part of the world loads of times it was good for me to have a bit of variety in an area I'm so familiar with.

I'll stick Creag Choinnich on my winter list - still haven't done your Daer Reservoir circuit (I was hoping to do them while on holiday over the last couple of weeks but being without a car for 5 days knackered me).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for posting. Always on the look out for new walks to try in this area. Went up Morrone in May when there was still some snow on the Cairngorms and the view fairly bowled my wife over. And me! But she got there first.
Haven't been round any of the Loch Callater hills so this could be an introduction for us.
Good pictures and very informative about the terrain.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:28 pm

litljortindan wrote:Thanks for posting. Always on the look out for new walks to try in this area. Went up Morrone in May when there was still some snow on the Cairngorms and the view fairly bowled my wife over. And me! But she got there first.
Haven't been round any of the Loch Callater hills so this could be an introduction for us.
Good pictures and very informative about the terrain.

Hi

I tend not to hang around too long on summits but the views from Morrone (and Ben Rinnes on friday) were just stunning. I've still to climb Ben Avon and I was able to see the track I will need to follow when I come to do it.

Hope you enjoy Creag nan Gabhar when you do it (and you get to the top before the Mrs :lol: )
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby wjshaw2 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:39 pm

I love the caterpillar! So colourful and furry. Glad you didn't tread on him :D
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:65
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:35 pm

wjshaw2 wrote:I love the caterpillar! So colourful and furry. Glad you didn't tread on him :D

I've seen a few of these recently, their really big (for caterpillars).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland