walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The colour purple - a short wander up Mount Blair

The colour purple - a short wander up Mount Blair

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Route description: Mount Blair

Fionas included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 12/08/2013

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 5.6 km

Ascent: 440m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whilst travelling home from Perthshire, I had a couple of hours spare and as it was a nice day decided on Mount Blair for a quick wander.

The B951 road from the A93 to Kirriemuir is currently (Aug 2013) closed at the A93 junction for what looks to be lengthy improvement works, there's an alternative way leaving the A93 a couple of kilometres south.

Mount Blair is one of those hills you notice from the A93; it's quite prominent and has the obvious telecomms mast on top. It's one I've often thought about doing, and today was the day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked in a cleared area at the edge of the forest, right at the roadsigns showing the boundary between Perth & Kinross and Angus. A stroll eastwards up the road and the first gate leads into an open area of grazing with a faint track heading uphill.

The colour theme for the day was most definitely purple; first grand thistles in the grazed area.....

Then glorious ridges of heather higher up. A slight breeze was blowing but not enough to deter the bees which were everywhere among the heather.

Ling is the dominant heather higher up with the darker Erica variety a bit lower down. The whole hill was highly scented - a delicious smell of honey and my boots and trousers ended up fairly coated with pollen. If you could bottle the scent along with the fresh air you'd make a fortune!

The summit is dominated by the telecomms mast and gear, but even this doesn't detract from some great views.

Mount Blair is a boundary hill in more than one way. As well as being on the border of two counties it's very much on the physical boundary. South from the trig point the view is of rural Perthshire with its mix of woods, farmland and lower hills.....

...while to the north the scenery is definitely of the highland variety; as here looking up Glen Shee.

On the descent I left the track and headed north-east to a lower top before rejoining the road to the east of a small burn and so back to the car.

If you're travelling the A93 and have a couple of hours spare, this hill is a nice little diversion. If you get it in late summer with the heather scent - so much the better!

Kind regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Re: The colour purple - a short wander up Mount Blair

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:21 pm

I have been on a bit of a heather mission lately so this sounds right up my street. It comes and goes so fast but the sea of purple is beautiful.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby morag1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Agree with sarah, the sea of purple is lovely, bet you had a great walk on that lovely hill :D
morag1

Postby Ian Johnston » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks Sarah and Morag, it really was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours :o)

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland