walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blairdenon

Blairdenon

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Blairdenon Hill

Date walked: 28/08/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11.6 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have been working our way round many of the most popular ochils but had yet to venture to the ones nearer Sheriffmuir. My sister was officially starting her first year of teaching on the Monday and fancied a good walk before hand. It wasn't a great day weather wise and my dad was at home to take Penny (our dog) out, I knew this is a walk she wouldn't like. After reading a few reports on here we deciding to start from the Greenloaning sign post a little further up the road from the inn.

We found the faint path across from a farm and tried to follow it although lost it after a while! We could see the direction we were meant to be heading in. Looking back to the farm at the start of the walk

As we got to the top of the first hilly section (just below the summit of Greenloaning hill I think?!) the weather didn't look so good heading over, so I quickly got my rain jacket on to be prepared

Dumyat looking rather tiny!

Still not looking great!

The path became easier to follow but we took a faint left turn just before the top of Greenloaning Hill, from here it was quite obvious where to go.

Almost there!

Almost missed the summit, you need to climb a fence to reach this point

Blue skies!

We pondered what route to head back, via colsnaur or bengengie/craig leith. We decided to aim for craig leith and get picked up in Alva. We followed a faint path from the summit of Blairdenon which was headed in the Ben Cleuch direction. We followed this until Bengengie was to the right of us and just headed in that general direction without a path which was very wet! Whether there was a proper faint track further on I am not sure!

small cairn near where we turned off

Looking to Ben Cleuch etc..

View from Bengengie to Craigleith, it was from here that the weather turned nasty, strong winds and rain

My sister charging on infront as usual

Heading from Bengengie to Craigleith was again fairly simple. A easy to follow path with a few ups and downs

Rain over Ben Cleuch

Looking back to Bengengie

Large cairn at the top of Craigleith

It was a relief that by now the weather had improved and the sun was out as finding our way down from Craigleith was a little tricky,there was no visible path that I could see so we carefully made our way down after heading back up the path.

At last a faint path to head for in the distance!

Can just spot Gartmorn Dam in the corner here, which looks tiny!

We made it to the top of Wee Tory, but I am constantly losing paths on this hill and by the end up a long walk it was getting a bit frustrating. I got to a point where my sister was quite far in front so I sat myself down and slid down to catch her.. not had so much fun in a long time!

Our route
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:22   Islands:1

Re: Blairdenon

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi Sarah86

Blairdenon Hill is a good wander from the Sherrifmuir road. Typical Ochils grassy tracks............nice and soft on the feet!!

When the sun was out it looked like a nice day - great photos.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:41   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Superb photographs, with some dramatic skies :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Ian Johnston » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 pm

That looks a really good walk Sarah, little trodden despite being on the edge of a pretty well populated area. My daughter lives not too far from there - might be one to do next time I'm down that way!

Great first mono image by the way, very atmospheric

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby morag1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Looks a fine walk Sarah, love the atmospheric photos :D
morag1

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks, as much as I enjoy being out in the sunshine sometimes some stormy clouds can be atmospheric.

RTC wrote:Very nice report and photos. Bengengie and Wee Torry are two of the best tops in the Ochils.
I thought I had met you yesterday on the top of Dumyat when I saw a female with a dog very like Penny. Found out I was wrong by asking the lady if she was a member of WH. It must be a sign of age when I find it easier to recognise a dog than to recognise a young lady. :(

Don't worry... most people recognise my dog before me :lol: We are up Dumyat often too but Penny hasn't been keen on walking these past couple of weeks, think it is a little clamy for her.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm

What a lovely hike Sarah, even dodging the showers it looked a cracker. Those rain clouds really bring some atmosphere to the shots anyway :wink: love the B&W shots too :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Some great views there, Sarah - looks a good area for a wander especially when you get the weather - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:139   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sarah86 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks :-) It was a good leg stretch, I do like a nice long Ochil walk now and then :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland