walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A l..o..n..g walk and then Rubers Law.

A l..o..n..g walk and then Rubers Law.

Postby Gavsco » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Rubers Law

Date walked: 28/08/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 354m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few months ago, a neighbour and I arranged to have a walk up Rubers Law. We live in Hawick, and set off to walk the 6 miles to Denholm, the plan was to walk up the hill, have lunch, come back down, have a pint in the Fox & Hounds on the village green (a fine wee pub with lovely beer!) and walk/get a lift back to Hawick.
We set off, arriving at Denholm a couple of hours later, and as we were passing the Fox & Hounds on the way to the start of the walk up the hill, we thought we'd have a quick pint before the climb....we didn't make Rubers Law that day!
On this second attempt, I set off on my own, walking on tarmac for the first few miles, joining the Borders Abbeys Way a couple of miles before Denholm, glad to be off the road and onto a path, I passed the pub, crossed the village green and headed up Westgate onto Dene Road, the summit is another 2 miles away!
SAM_1887.JPG
That's where I'm headed!
SAM_1839.JPG
Denholm village green.
DSC_0077 (Small).JPG
Fox & Hounds...not today thanks!
SAM_1841.JPG
The start of the path up Rubers Law

The path to Rubers Law goes up to the left about half a mile up this road and is a steady climb all the way. This path goes into Ruberslaw Covert, I followed the path through the covert, which was quite hard going at times, there is another path which skirts round the covert on its northeast side, I followed this path on my descent, and found it much easier! The summit is surprisingly craggy and rugged, I'm not sure if this is because of the Roman Fort that was built on the top or despite it, anyway, it makes for an interesting top!
The good weather allowed me to enjoy cracking views from the summit, across to The Cheviot, and Carter Bar, down to White Coomb and Hart Fell, and up to Soutra and its wind turbines, and of course, The Eildons. I spent a good hour on the top having lunch and taking it all in.
DSC_0079 (Small).JPG
The trig point with Hawick in the background.
DSC_0081 (Small).JPG
Plaque on the trig point.
DSC_0085 (Small).JPG
Part of the panorama from the summit.

A good wee hill, with extensive views across the Borders countryside, well worth looking at if you're in the area.
Gavsco
Mountaineer

Munros:75   Corbetts:4
Grahams:5   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:31   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland