walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Old Grey Man, A Murder Hole, and the Merrick

The Old Grey Man, A Murder Hole, and the Merrick

by DonnyW » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Route description: The Merrick via Loch Valley, from Glen Trool

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick

Donalds included on this walk: Merrick

Date walked: 20/02/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Old Grey Man, A Murder Hole, and the Merrick

Postby elainelong » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks, Donny.

Having read your account afterwards I realised that it must be Benyellary behind the Old Man even though I couldn't see the original photo, and I was also anticipating that it may be difficult to find him so the arrow should help too. I will do my best and pass on your comments if I can locate him!

I am also going to look at Shalloch on Minnoch and The Wolf Slock, if the latter is accessible, and knees allowing too. :thumbup: :wave: .
elainelong
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:160
Wainwrights:198   

Postby 37201xoIM » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:52 pm

A note of thanks from me too for this excellent report, which inspired me to do this superb walk myself yesterday...
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

Postby elainelong » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:06 am

IMG_3704 (640x427).jpg
On the way down to the Grey Man.
IMG_3706 (427x640).jpg
The Grey Man.
IMG_3707 (427x640).jpg
The Grey Man 2.
IMG_3711 (427x640).jpg
The Grey Man 3.
Hi Donny,

Very remiss of me not to post as I haven't been on here for a while but I did find the Old Man and passed on your good wishes! We went up via Benyellary and back via the Buchan ridge which seemed to go on forever and, as a result, I was not in my husband's good books that day! I am sooooooooo glad I had my walking poles with me as I don't think my knees would have made it otherwise - nor his.

Anyway, just to show you I found it, a couple of photos :wink:

Haven't done this before so here's hoping........ :D
elainelong
Munro compleatist

Postby DonnyW » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:41 am

Hi Elaine and 37201x0IM, :D

Many thanks for the kind comments on this report.. its a shame the original photos no longer show..but that is beyond my control.

Thanks also for posting your visit to my old friend Elaine. I plan to see him again around March..as I find that is the best time for walking the Galloway Hills. It is before the tussochs start growing ..which make it difficult for my old ankles. I am not ageing as well as The Old Man of the Merrick.. but Im still very thankful that I have a few visits left in me yet. :wink:

Happy new year to you both..and I wish you good health to visit him again in the future. :clap:

Hey...PS..I just noticed that I can edit my post :D So I will try to look out the original photos and repost them in their correct places :wink:
DonnyW

Postby elainelong » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:51 pm

And a happy New Year to you too, Donny. I will look forward to your photos if you're able to repost them.

Unfortunately, my knees are causing me problems these days. First one was giving me problems and, since coming down off White Coomb in the Moffat hills, the other even more so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to carry on walking. A visit to the doctor's surgery beckons :?

Enjoy 2016 :)
elainelong
Munro compleatist

Postby ibeedie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:42 pm

For me it not about reaching the summit it’s about the journey that’s why I’ve done all the Munros and I’m afraid I feel your missing out on the journey with your blinkered approach the hill walking.
ibeedie

Corbetts:2

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland