walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Goatfell - Arran

Goatfell - Arran

Postby Milesy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Route description: Goatfell, from Brodick Castle

Corbetts included on this walk: Goat Fell

Date walked: 20/02/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 874m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With this recent spell of blue skies I knew I wanted to get out this weekend and today was the only day I could get out but with the Scotrail stikes the west highland railway was not running so I had a think of different options and Goatfell on Arran was my decision.

Left the house at half seven and got the train to Glasgow and then another train straight to Ardrossan Harbour, and on the Ferry across to Arran.

It was a bit of a misty start to the day so the view across to Arran was a little obscured with only the tops of the mountains poking out the top.

Leaving the mainland behind in the same mist. Feels like open sea.

Beautiful blue skies and clear waters make for a pleasent sailing across.

Getting closer and Goatfell can be seen poking out the mist.

Arriving in Brodick.

On landing at port a bus was sitting waiting, and five minutes later I was dropped off at Cladach near Brodick Castle, which is the start of the trail.

A little great tit.

The way to Goatfell is clearly signposted through the plantations.

Where I am going comes into view going through the forrest.

Leaving the bay behind.

Getting closer.

The sky has started to fill up with some clouds and obscuring the summit. There is very little wind and the clouds are moving slowly so I hope they clear off by the time I get there.

Above the snow line now the only sign of a path is footprints in the snow, which is fresh and powdery so I follow on in the stead. The ridge to the summit is visible.

Brodick bay below the snow line.

The slope is steep and very slippery, but I make the decision not to put on my crampons and rely on step kicking and my ice axe to get me up and while making my way up the slope the peace was disturbed by a group of guys coming down in jeans and wellies and I wonder how they managed to get up.

At the top and the sky has pockets of cloud everywhere spoiling the views to Ireland and the Islands.

The bay far below.

The view point table. Not much use though.

Looking down to the bealach known as "the saddle" between North Goatfell and the neighbouring corbett Cir Mhor.

Over to the mainland.

Dont fall!

Peaceful waters.

Across to Beinn Tarsuinn, another fine Corbett which I plan on coming back to climb.

A fine ridge between Cir Mhor and Beinn Tarsuinn.

Across North Goatfell to its most northely top. I dont have a lot of time today to catch the ferry back so the tops will stay for another day.

Down the Coire-Lan which ends at the village called Corrie.

Leaving the summit behind.

Heading back down the harbour.

Sunset from the top deck of the ferry.

A well deserved beer.

A fine day outside the highlands and further proof that there is more to the hills than the Munros, and that the obsessive baggers are missing out on good days out.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Re: Goatfell - Arran

Postby malky_c » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm

This looks great. I still haven't had a good day high up on Arran. Have either ended up on the lower hills, or in the mist and rain. In fact if you'd stayed on the bus to Sannox, you could've probably done the traverse of North Goatfell etc. I did this and enjoyed it even though the weather was crap.

On another note, my mum in law used to live in Troon and have the hills of Arran as the view from her lounge. Have seen some fairly spectacular sunsets from there, but very rarely as much snow as you had.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby delberto » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:43 pm

nice report- very inspiring.
will go up goatfell again in the summer.

well done
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby DonnyW » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey... where did all that snow come from ? :shock:

Glad you made Arran Milesy ..its a great place and the rock is good for climbing.. even in the wet. You have put me in the mood to try the A chir ridge again once the summer sailings start. If you like..I will give you a shout when I do . . assuming you dont mind crossing it with an old man :shock: :lol:
DonnyW

Postby tonydafonz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 am

Excellent report and great pics too. Also demonstrates that you don't have to take the car everywhere (i'm the worst for it... :? )

Really was a great day everywhere, I was up Ben More and everyone I passed was beaming from ear to ear, even despite the hard slog in the snow!
tonydafonz
Mountain Walker

Munros:42   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby happyhiker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:25 am

some cracking pictures - looks like a good day :D
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Postby CurlyWurly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 am

Awesome report. Not been to any of the islands yet but this one will be high on the list.
I agree with what you say about there being other great hills out there rather than just Munro's.
My favourite peak, The Brack, is only a Corbett, but amazing none the less.
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby The Summiteer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi

Looks like you had a great trip. Really like your photos - your a 'Man on a Mission' with all these hill trips.Keep up the good work!
The Summiteer
Mountaineer

Munros:99   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:8

Postby GillC » Fri May 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Milesy - Heading to Goatfell next weekend,,been told to avoid the saddle approach after recent rainfall so hopefully the ascent from Cladach will be a bit better. Would have loved to have been in the snow,,looks gorgeous.

Well done,,great pics and report,

GillC
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Del246 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Great report and pics. I was ment to do this in January but it got cancelled the day before because of the weather. After seeing your report I need to put it back on my to do list !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 pm

EXCELLENT PHOTOS - THESE ARE THE KIND OF PICS THAT INSPIRE ME TO GO OUT WALKING. CHEERS
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland