walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up to Lurcher's Crag and through The Gap with Skye

Up to Lurcher's Crag and through The Gap with Skye

Postby Wanderlust » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Date walked: 10/02/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I recently spent a few days around the Cairngorms area, one of the places I stayed was the Cairngorm Lodge SYHA. The clouds were covering the tops for most of my time there, and when I set off from the hostel on this morning I wasn't expecting to have an enjoyable day and it was snowing a bit as I walked along the track towards Rothiemurcus Lodge.

As I approached the Lodge I was greeted by a wee doggie, I sat down on a bench to have a cup of tea and a bite to eat and saw that the dog had it's name, Skye on it's collar tag. I gave her a fig roll and a piece of chocolate. She's a friendly dog and liked to be stroked.

Time for me to press on, so I headed on away from the lodge, only to be followed by my new friend. Saw a guy walking towards me, and he called Skye. I asked him if he was the dog's owner, but he wasn't, anyway, we tried to get Skye to follow him back towards the Lodge, but she just would not. So I said to the guy that I was staying at the hostel in Glenmore, and if Skye followed me all the way around my walk that I'd call the Lodge from there so they could collect her.

Conitinued my walk, with Skye in tow. I had intended to just go up through the Chalamain Gap and then head down towards Glenmore, but at around 1 o'clock the clouds started to lift and I had a re-think on my intended route, looked at the map and saw a possible way up to Creag an Leth-choin (Lurcher's Crag). Got a good view of the Crag from the point above Lairig Ghru.

Heading up towards Lairig Ghru

Lurcher's Crag

The ridge leading to the summit is not too steep and I got my first views of the Cairngorm plateau.

view of the Cairngorm plateau from the ridge to Lurcher's Crag

The views really opened up at the summit, from the Meall a' Bhuachaille group, over the Cairngorm plateau and down into Lairig Ghru. It's a sheer drop from the top of the Crag and I didn't dare to go close to the edge!

Cairngorm mountain and top ski staion, cliffs above Coire an Sneachda

Cliffs above Coire an Lochan

Looking down into Larig Ghru from Lurcher's Crag summit

Cairn Lochan from Lurcher's Crag summit

Skye on Lurcher's Crag summit cairn

Lurcher's Crag summit

Skye and Lurcher's Crag summit

Made our way down from Lurcher's Crag down the gentle slopes into Coire an Leth-choin, I was intending to head for the road from the ski station into Glenmore, but descended too far and came to a ravine. At this point, I could see the Chalamain Gap, so I thought that I might aswell go that way back and walk Skye back home.

descent into Coire an Leth-choin

Chalamain Gap

looking west from Chalamain Gap

Was dark when I finally returned Skye to her rightful owners, and a chap that was staying there kindly gave me a lift back to the hostel.
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Re: Up to Lurcher's Crag and through The Gap with Skye

Postby mountain coward » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm

The dogs in the Hebrides tend to follow you on walks/up the hills... but it's not such serious walking as that as there's no snow/ice etc. and the walks are much shorter - how worrying to have to look after someone's dog all day! Great pics though... and the dog sets them off nicely! :)
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Is the Chlamain gap any easier with all that snow in it then?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Wanderlust » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:24 am

The dog was good company and seemed to take a shine to me for some reason, dunno why. She must have fancied going for a good long walk is all I can think!

Wasn't a problem going through the Chalamain Gap, had my crampons on and the snow conditions were superb at that time on the hills.

I took some video clips on this walk, will upload them to youtube and post links on here.
Wanderlust

Postby CurlyWurly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Awesome report, amazing pics. Just love the picture of Skye on Lurcher's Crag summit cairn. Looks like she really enjoyed herself!
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Alastair S » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Q:
Wanderlust wrote:The dog was good company and seemed to take a shine to me for some reason, dunno why.

A:
Wanderlust wrote:I gave her a fig roll and a piece of chocolate.

:lol: :lol:

Looks like a great day & good pics. BTW its not a good idea to feed dogs chocolate as its poisonous to them :(
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Wanderlust » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:10 pm

a couple of video clips from this walk

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXC1EZUcQ8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4-bWwuoXts[/youtube]
Wanderlust

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland