walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Amongst the Monadh Ruaidh

Amongst the Monadh Ruaidh

by weaselmaster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Avon, Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Gorm, Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 01/09/2013

Time taken: 50 hours

Distance: 111 km

Ascent: 6309m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Amongst the Monadh Ruaidh

Postby Ian Johnston » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Great stuff Alastair, what a super trip.

I keep banging on to folk that these are the hills for long trips, but you have to go to find out! :wink:

Kind Regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby battie72 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Wow what a week that must have been. Great effort :thumbup: :thumbup: to the two of you. The midge photo OMG!!! What a nightmare - it send shivers down my spine :shock:

And that was me thinking I had swiped most of them away!!!!! :shock:
battie72
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:135
Fionas:212   Donalds:79+37
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:3   Islands:21

Postby dooterbang » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 am

Epic stuff yet again :clap:

Impressive tally for only a years walking :shock:

Surely on day one you could have nipped over to Braemar to purchase some food for Allsion :wink:

Doing these big days really gives you a feel for the area you walk and I'm sure you now know the Cairngorms pretty well. How did they compare to the pointy peaks of the West?

Stereo is nice for veggie delights. I live near The 78 which is part of Stereo group and do great food.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:55 pm

dooterbang wrote:Epic stuff yet again :clap:

Impressive tally for only a years walking :shock:

Surely on day one you could have nipped over to Braemar to purchase some food for Allsion :wink:

Doing these big days really gives you a feel for the area you walk and I'm sure you now know the Cairngorms pretty well. How did they compare to the pointy peaks of the West?

Stereo is nice for veggie delights. I live near The 78 which is part of Stereo group and do great food.

Cheers.

Cheers DB
I was really taken with the whole area in the Monadh Ruaidh - it felt to me that the mountains were only a part of the landscape which had lots of other attractions, whereas in the West, the mountains often seem to be the only or most dominant thing in the landscape. The feeling also may have something to do with just spending more time in the area - will put that to the test in doing the Mullardoch lot over the next 3 days. And i have made enough sandwiches for us both this time :lol: :wink:

Yeah, The 78 is a frequented venue too - particularly like the Thursday evenings "no-choice" menu for miniscule cost
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby ilovescotty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Stunning photos as usual. I love anywhere with native forests to explore. Going up in May to the Cairngorms, so this may be on my list!
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland