walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobblers South East Ridge

The Cobblers South East Ridge

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 05/09/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a few hours to kill and lots of blue sky about, I decided to take a quick drive upto The Cobbler for about the gazillionth time. I decided to try an alternative route from the usual route to add a wee bit of interest on the ascent, and once I'd followed the zigzag path up as far as the dam, I then crossed over to follow the path up the Southeast Ridge towards the South peak. It's a fairly distinct scar up the hillside, muddy in places, and I'd reckon the lower part up towards An t-Stron would be pretty grim after lots of rain.

Once onto the Ridge proper, the view down Loch Long is amazing. I could clearly see the Arran hills and Ailsa Craig 8) Also you get a birds eye view of The Brack across Glen Croe to your left and Beinn Narnain to your right. Between An t-Sron and the South peak there are a couple of wee mini scrambles and I was fair enjoying myself. Around the base of the South peak there are lots of boulders scattered about, but it's easy enough to clamber your way through and round the back of the South peak. The path then drops you at a little col between the South and Central peak. I'd read different stories about the South top being "doable" without ropes, so I took a wee wander to have a nosey. There was an awkward move (for a short arse like me!) right away, once I negotiated this I got about a further 5 feet, seen an abseil rope and decided the South top wasn't for me :lol: So it was a quick stroll up to the needle and that would be my fun for today. A quick video of summiting it is attached.

I descended the same way and got back to the car after about 4 hours. A great half day on a hill that really has everything. I for one will never tire of this wee gem 8)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by lomondwalkers on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: The Cobblers South East Ridge

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:04 am

Youtube link to threading the needle.....

lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 am

Great stuff. Was up there yesterday too but from the other side. Didn't get such clear conditions earlier in the day but some interesting mist and cloud. I think that edge up to the south top would be beyond me but have been up the easier part of the south ridge before and enjoyed it. I seem to recall a bit of hunting about for the descent off the flat top of the large tower (706m top) and a little bit of exposure on the way up there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 pm

A great walk Dave, and some fantastic views :thumbup:
Loved the video and here's me waving to you :wave: :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Sarah86 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:02 pm

What a great day you had for it, I wasn't brave enough to thread the needle! Don't know if I ever will be :lol: Lovely photos
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby GillC » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:23 pm

Smashing,,we did this route a couple of years ago, June, misty and VERY boggy on the climb from the dam up to the shoulder. Might do this route again sometime when revisiting an old favourite. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:19 pm

crackin pictures Dave, and your video of the needle made it look as easy as climbing the stairs :clap:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:29 am

litljortindan wrote:Great stuff. Was up there yesterday too but from the other side. Didn't get such clear conditions earlier in the day but some interesting mist and cloud. I think that edge up to the south top would be beyond me but have been up the easier part of the south ridge before and enjoyed it. I seem to recall a bit of hunting about for the descent off the flat top of the large tower (706m top) and a little bit of exposure on the way up there.

Yeah, I got lucky with the weather, had some rain on the drive up that cleared over by the time I was ready to go. I reckon the South top is definitely beyond my scrambling ability :roll:

SusieThePensioner wrote:A great walk Dave, and some fantastic views :thumbup:
Loved the video and here's me waving to you :wave: :lol: :lol:

The Cobbler is always a great wee day out 8) Och, if I'd known you were going to wave I'd have shouted hiya Susie over to you :lol:

Sarah86 wrote:What a great day you had for it, I wasn't brave enough to thread the needle! Don't know if I ever will be :lol: Lovely photos

It took me a good view visits before I felt confident enough to thread the needle. It's a fab wee hill :D

GillC wrote:Smashing,,we did this route a couple of years ago, June, misty and VERY boggy on the climb from the dam up to the shoulder. Might do this route again sometime when revisiting an old favourite. :clap:

Yeah I'd imagine it would be a bit of a wet slog after some bad weather. I'll probably do the route again over Winter when the grounds frozen. Shouldn't be too long now 8)

tomyboy73 wrote:crackin pictures Dave, and your video of the needle made it look as easy as climbing the stairs :clap:

Cheers Tommy, if you'd seen my previous attempts at the needle you wouldn't be saying that :lol: I once got up the slanty bit and couldn't control the shaking legs, had to sit down for a bit before retreating back :oops: :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland