walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ronas Hill, Small hill, massive views

Ronas Hill, Small hill, massive views

Postby martin.h » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Route description: Ronas Hill, Northmavine

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ronas Hill (Mainland Shetland)

Date walked: 16/05/2013

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 6.2 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In May of this year Denise and I went to the Shetland Islands to explore their rich history and maybe explore the coastline a bit if we had the time and the weather, when I was researching walks I discovered that Ronas Hill is the highest hill on the islands and decided that this would definitely be worth a go, because " it's there" and all that, and also, to me, being a bloke, the "bragging rights" would be established within my group of friends. :roll: :lol:
So here goes, I hope it's o.k. and reasonably accurate. :)
Ronas Hill is on the Northmavine part of mainland Shetland, a very beautiful and hilly area, it's isolated, almost an island in itself.
The best and easiest way to start Ronas Hill is to drive up the service road for the transmitter station and park up, this service road is easy enough to find off the A970 near the small settlement of North Collafirth. There is room for quite a few cars so parking is no problem.
There's an information board for Ronas Hill here, it describes the flora and fauna of the area and briefly describes the route, in good weather the way is obvious. As you walk away from the transmitters there's a slight descent then an easy ascent to the first little hill, Mid Field. There is no path but the going is easy and pleasant, slightly boggy in parts. From the slight dip off Mid Field you start climbing Ronas Hill making note of the large boulder/cairn you can see from here which is more or less the summit and just head uphill towards it.
The going is really very easy and pleasant with views of Collafirth opening up behind you and the islands of Yell and Unst beyond, south over mainland, north the rest of Northmavine and the sea all around.
On the summit there is a large cairn said to be a prehistoric burial site and a shelter a wee bit further away. This shelter has a trig pillar within and also a metal box containing a visitor book arrangement with pencils provided so you can log your visit. We entered ours and noticed quite a few people get up here and the most popular comment was how windy it is, it was for us so it must be pretty general. There are lovely views all around, we had our butties by the shelter and spent a while taking in the views. After our lunch we returned the way we came but I think that this walk can be extended to be made into a fuller day.
The round trip took 2.1/2 hrs at a reasonably sedate pace, it's a nice afternoon excursion, one I would recommend.
I would say to anybody who is thinking of the Shetland Isles as a holiday destination, go and enjoy it, there's plenty to do and see. :D
P5161831.JPG
The Information board

P5161834.JPG
The transmitter station, bit of an eyesore.

P5161829.JPG
Quite a barren landscape

P5161793.JPG
Looking towards Ronas Hill from Mid Field, you can just make out the cairn

P5161799.JPG
The view towards Collafirth

P5161796.JPG
The Burial Cairn

P5161798.JPG
The Shelter, trig pillar and metal box within

P5161801.JPG
Now some views from the summit

P5161807.JPG

P5161808.JPG

P5161809.JPG

P5161810.JPG

P5161827.JPG
On the way back, a bit wild.

P5161836.JPG
And finally a view of Collafirth from the service road
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland