walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Tairneachan and Farragon Hill.

Meall Tairneachan and Farragon Hill.

Postby PauloUK77 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Route description: Meall Tairneachan and Farragon Hill

Corbetts included on this walk: Farragon Hill, Meall Tairneachan

Date walked: 29/08/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17.25 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A day to myself gave me the opportunity to bag some hills close to where we were based.I decided on Meall Tairneachan and Farragon hill.
There is little space for parking but managed to pull onto some grass next to the road as not to obstruct.The route begins at the entrance to the quarry road and follows this track for the majority of the way.It was a weekday so there was some activity in the form of a very large truck bringing full loads down to the entrance of the road to be loaded onto road trucks and taken away.
The route follows the track up through woodland very steeply passing more quarry and forestry vehicles. Once the woodland is past open moorland is reached and the first objective (Meall Tairneachan) comes into view.
You do not immediately head up to it but follow the track onto higher ground and where there is a turning point this is where you make the very fast and easy ascent.I would say Meall Tairneachan is one of the easiest hills to bag.

Returning the same way back to the track continue towards the quarry with Farragon Hill now in sight and some distance away.The track loses height at the quarry before gaining height again after the quarry.The track then becomes more faded as height is gained then after you head over the top and dip down into a corrie the track is left behind.
The way to Farragon hill is pathless and pretty hard going but once at the top the views where excellent.
The realization then sinks in that you have to retrace your steps all the way to the start.
I enjoyed this walk and managed to bag two Corbetts in the process.
P1090959.JPG
I would have loved a go in these.

P1090960.JPG
The quarry truck heading back up to collect more material.

P1090962.JPG
Open moorland is reached after the woodland.

P1090966.JPG
First objective Meall Tairneachan comes into view.

P1090967.JPG
The track heads to higher ground before leaving it for Meall Tairneachan.

P1090970.JPG
Meall Tairneachan summit.

P1090971.JPG
A distant Farragon Hill.

P1090973.JPG
The busy quarry.

P1090974.JPG
Farragon Hill up close.

P1090976.JPG
Farragon Hill summit with Schiehallion and the quarry in the distance.

P1090977.JPG
Farragon Hill summit looking down to Tummel valley.

P1090980.JPG
Hares not put off by a busy quarry.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Meall Tairneachan and Farragon Hill.

Postby Grada Marchal » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Great stuff! :D
Grada Marchal
Mountaineer

Re: Meall Tairneachan and Farragon Hill.

Postby PauloUK77 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Grada Marchal wrote:Great stuff! :D

Thank you Grada Marchal :D
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland