walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Don"t take your boots off

Don"t take your boots off

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 11/07/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1070m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked at the head of the dam nice and early,me,Alan,and my 2 dogs,not been on a hill for a couple of weeks as my knee playing up and had to bin the South Glen Shiel ridge 2 weeks earlier,anyway knee feels ok 2 munros on this walk,up do 1 back down to car,then back up and do 2nd munro,bit misty this early but weather report says to clear up later on.
Left the dam heading for Stuchd an Lochain,crossed over the bridge,followed the south side of the dam a short distance then started to climb S up quite steep slopes to reach the ridge above Coire Ban,from where the whole ridge can be seen to the top of the 1st munro,nice big broad ridge carrys on round W to Creag an Fheadain(folow fence posts if clagged in),then head SSW next to Sorn Chona Choirein,then after a short walk you start to climd 1st W then NW to ths summit and small cairn,quick photo and look at the views then follow the same route back down to the car and some food and a wee rest before we tackle or 2nd munro of the day :lol:
This is where I made a mistake,sun now out,light breeze,brill weather and I decide to take my boots of (for a wee rest),bad move,20min later Alan is ready to climd Meall Buidhe,where I have now settled down beside the small burn and have no intention of moving anywhere(give Alan excuse my knee is giving me gip) so off he goes at a fair pace up Meall Buidhe,while i fall asleep on grassy bank(heaven) :D
Next thing I know Alan is back at car dripping of sweat having ran most of the way to the top and back,taking only about 1 1/2 hrs for this (feel a bit guilty) :wink:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland