walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My birthday treat - the Cobbler without the hordes

My birthday treat - the Cobbler without the hordes

Postby Flo-go » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 10/09/2013

Time taken: 4.33 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 980m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A brilliant day for a fantastic walk on a great wee hill.

We set off from the busy Succoth car park at 1.15pm. A lot later than I usually get out but had to have my lie in and extended breakfast first. Peter did the driving from Glasgow and it was lovely to be in the passenger seat for once heading up the side of Loch Lomond.

It was warm sunny and still on the first stretch up from Loch Long, very different from the time we had done Narnain and Ime in the clag (though we were rewarded with an amazing inversion on that occasion). We were soon getting quite hot through the zig zags. Luckily my mum provided a wee rest stop when she phoned to wish me a happy birthday. Soon we were on our way again and as the zig zags petered out we caught the first view of the Cobbler. Never fails to take my breath away. The wind was picking up and we soon cooled down to a more comfortable temperature. Looking at the clouds the wind appeared to be howling along at summit level. This is not what I wanted to see as I had my heart set on threading the needle. We would have to wait and see what conditions were like at the summit.

warm at the start

first view of the Cobbler

In the meantime we had a wee rest at the Narnain boulders with water and oatcakes. Had a great time scrambling up the boulders and enjoying their lovely flat tops. The way down was more tricky but manageable. I did jump partway down from the second boulder and jarred my knee slightly. Oops.

on the Narnain boulders

a long way down

Peter going for it

After a bit of deliberation we decided to ascend up the back path with the boulder steps as the wind was blowing from that side. It would keep us cool and be mostly in our backs. Turns out it was a good decision. I would not have enjoyed descending into that biting wind. Any people we met on their way down were wrapped right up and still looked cold. The views were fantastic with ever changing light and cloud on the hills. Typically Scottish and one of the things I love most about going out into the Scottish hills. We headed for the north stack first and negotiated that without too much difficulty although it was breezy. Looking over we could see the central peak with its eyes and for the first time it clearly looked to be the highest part of the mountain. It was cold up at the top so we added some more layers and didn't stay too long before heading off to the central peak.

great views on the way up

the col between the north and central peaks

looking across at our goal from the north stack

Got there and it looked quite inaccessible. Not a soul around to show us how it was done either. I'd anticipated queues at the needle (one of the reasons I've not done the Cobbler till now) but here we were all alone with the wind blowing. It was dry though and so was the rock.
We'd just have a wee look at the needle. I clambered through and found the ledge to be both wider than anticipated and in the lee of the stack. Peter squeezed through the needle behind me. I shimmied up the ledge and turned back on myself to get up the final step and before I knew it was sitting on the highest point. Went back to help Peter as he's not great with exposure, but he too managed fine. Quickly got some pictures and headed back off the peak. We descended down the lovely sheltered front of the mountain which was great fun with some little down scrambles. Soon we rejoined the motorway and back down the way we had come.

me in the needle

made it!

on the way down, the north peak from below

boulders and lenticular clouds

one last look at the Cobbler

back down to Loch Long

Got back to the car 4hrs and 20mins after we had set off and drove back to Glasgow where I had a lovely evening having some well earned pints with some good company.
Will probably go back to the Cobbler at some point, plenty more scrambling and fun to be had on that mountain.
Last edited by Flo-go on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flo-go

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: My birthday treat

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Nice report and pictures, Flo-go, especially the lenticular cloud shot.

Oh..and many happy returns.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: My birthday treat

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Excellent stuff :clap: and on your Birthday as well! Belated Birthday wishes :) I have still to do the Cobbler, something I must rectify very soon before I get to old.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: My birthday treat - the Cobbler without the hordes

Postby GillC » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:47 am

Lovely day for a great hill,,my favourite wee half day out.

Happy Birthday :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:34 am

Oh the best way to spend a Birthday ...Happy Birthday (belated to you) :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Flo-go » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

It really was a brilliant half day out

BoyVertiginous wrote:Nice report and pictures, Flo-go, especially the lenticular cloud shot.

Oh..and many happy returns.

Thanks, first time I'd consciously seen lenticular clouds after reading about them 2 weeks ago. May have got a little bit excited when I saw them :oops: . Lots more on the way back to Glasgow, but that was the best shot I got.
Flo-go

Postby Backpacker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Good walk up there, especially when you get it when it's quiet
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Good stuff. I was up there for my first time two days before you, but in rather less appealing conditions. I was quite concerned about threading the needle, especially given the wet and slippery conditions as I came around the back of the south peak - I had a few slips and near misses. However it turned out to be a piece of cake - as these things usually do despite all the stories! Great way to spend your birthday! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Flo-go » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Graeme D wrote:Good stuff. I was up there for my first time two days before you, but in rather less appealing conditions. I was quite concerned about threading the needle, especially given the wet and slippery conditions as I came around the back of the south peak - I had a few slips and near misses. However it turned out to be a piece of cake - as these things usually do despite all the stories! Great way to spend your birthday! :D

yeah no one had told me that the 'ledge' is actually 3ft wide. I was imagining something about 1/10th the width and 100 times as scary!
Flo-go

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Flo-go wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Good stuff. I was up there for my first time two days before you, but in rather less appealing conditions. I was quite concerned about threading the needle, especially given the wet and slippery conditions as I came around the back of the south peak - I had a few slips and near misses. However it turned out to be a piece of cake - as these things usually do despite all the stories! Great way to spend your birthday! :D

yeah no one had told me that the 'ledge' is actually 3ft wide. I was imagining something about 1/10th the width and 100 times as scary!

Yeah, me too for some reason! :o
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland