walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quick dash up Dumyat

Quick dash up Dumyat

Postby johnkeith » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Route description: Dumyat from Blairlogie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumyat

Date walked: 23/02/2010

Time taken: 1 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Needed a quick midweek trip out after work to see if my old Scarpa Vega boots were still wearable. Went up the open gully on the front face of Dumyat from Blairlogie. Ideal steepish terrain for my boot test - does anyone wtill wear plastic boots? I must say the stiff soles gave a degree of comfort on the rock hard frozen soil. Once out of the gully the wind was absolutely raw and required a few more layers to be added. On the more open part of the hill the approaching warm front was very obvious - the day had started out cloudless, lunchtime had seen the arrival of high cirrus and as I reached the summit the ranks of low layer cloud were very evident to the South East. It felt like it could start snowing at any time.

Great to get out on the hill despite the cold weather and the boot trial was a huge success - they were much less cumbersome than I remembered. Unlike my fancy modern Scarpa Freneys whose soles had both peeled off two weeks before on An Ruadh Stac up at Glen Carron.

So my stalwart purple plastic boots are now ready for a weekend in Braemar - please let it be good weather.
johnkeith
Stravaiging

Munros:257   Corbetts:154
Fionas:10   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland