walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Daily Walk - Forth Estuary

My Daily Walk - Forth Estuary

Postby RiverSong » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Route description: Cammo Estate and River Almond walk, Cramond Brig

Date walked: 06/04/2020

Time taken: 1 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

[
Last edited by RiverSong on Thu May 20, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RiverSong
Walker

Re: My Daily Walk - Forth Estuary

Postby RiverSong » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:14 pm

My daily walk
RiverSong
Walker

Postby dav2930 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:04 am

Looks a very nice walk to have on your doorstep.

RiverSong wrote:Apologies for the poor quality of the photos, at the moment it just doesnt seem right somehow to be out taking photos and playing around with the camera.

The photos look great to me. But why deny yourself the pleasure of 'playing around with the camera' when out on your daily walk? The BBC news and weather for my local area (Cumbria & NE England) are showing viewers' photos taken on their daily walks, many of which are clearly more than just quick snapshots. Yes, we are in the midst of a terrible public health crisis, and we should do everything we can to avoid spreading or contracting the virus, as well as staying safe. But we don't need to impose restrictions on ourselves for the sake of it.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:58 am

Lovely to have that at the bottom of your garden. Thanks for sharing. I thought the golf course was your garden after scrolling on from the first few sentences!

I agree, no reason not to take your "good" camera whilst exercising. I've been taking mine and grabbing photos every day. I'm not talking about standing there with a tripod trying to get the ultimate shot, but mostly looking at the small details and putting together an "Outside Photos of the Day" post on my social media just to help with the mental side of things. Not just for me either, I have several family and friends, who have contacted me to tell me these are one of their favourite things each day when they themselves cannot get out. I also chatted with a copper on one walk (he was after a chap on a quad bike with 2 toddlers!), whilst holding my DSLR in one hand; told him what I do each day (1 hour ish walk from home, alone, trying to find quiet spots, some wildlife and a few photos); he thought it was fine. Possibly off the record, I guess.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby ere1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:11 am

Lovely swimming location RiverSong. Thanks for sharing, :D
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm

The photos look great to me. But why deny yourself the pleasure of 'playing around with the camera

'Thanks for the nice comment Dav, but as an NHS worker it just makes me uncomfortable to be taking photos at a time like this. What the photos dont show is the number of people who were also out walking almost the same circuit as myself, i managed to block them out when taking the photos as I didnt want to intrude on their privacy.
RiverSong
Walker

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Lovely to have that at the bottom of your garden. Thanks for sharing. I thought the golf course was your garden after scrolling on from the first few sentences!

I agree, no reason not to take your "good" camera whilst exercising.

Ha Ha! I wish!

It just doesnt feel right, but i have been taking photos of the sunsets/sunrises and photos of my garden
RiverSong
Walker

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 pm

ere1 wrote:Lovely swimming location RiverSong. Thanks for sharing, :D

It does look good but much as i love swimming i wouldnt go in there, the Forth is very heavily polluted after years of being used for heavy industry. Having said that, there is a story told by the locals about the Cramond Ferryman who famously swam around Cramond Island everyday, stopping halfway round to have a fag whilst taking in the views!
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:54 pm

Good to see the walks by a southern Firth. Crammond Island is somewhere I'd like to visit when we are free to move again. Many thanks :D .
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby ere1 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:56 pm

RiverSong wrote:
ere1 wrote:Lovely swimming location RiverSong. Thanks for sharing, :D

It does look good but much as i love swimming i wouldnt go in there, the Forth is very heavily polluted after years of being used for heavy industry. Having said that, there is a story told by the locals about the Cramond Ferryman who famously swam around Cramond Island everyday, stopping halfway round to have a fag whilst taking in the views!

Thank you for the information Riversong. When I’m in Scotland I try to find pleasant walking tracks, but besides that, I’m always on the lookout for good places to swim. So unfortunately I’ll have to skip The Forth. :(
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby LoveWalking » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks for sharing your local walk. Totally respect your choice of photos, you have to do whatever feels right for you.

Mal Grey wrote:...but mostly looking at the small details and putting together an "Outside Photos of the Day" post on my social media just to help with the mental side of things

That's what I've been doing, mainly in the garden. I've been pleasantly surprised at the amount of little things I've managed to record.
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:56 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Good to see the walks by a southern Firth. Crammond Island is somewhere I'd like to visit when we are free to move again. Many thanks :D .

It is the Firth of Forth, I feel bad for saying the Forth Estuary now :(
Unfortunately Cramond Island is nicer to look at than visit as large parts of the island have been destroyed by the wild campers who leave all their stuff behind, including bottles. The part of the island which overlooks the Fife coast has now been turned into an outdoor toilet, complete with used toilet paper. They just walk off in the morning and leave their mess behind them. However if you do wish to visit there is a small beach to the left of the island with great views towards South Queensferry and the Forth Bridges :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby RiverSong » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:58 pm

LoveWalking wrote:

That's what I've been doing, mainly in the garden. I've been pleasantly surprised at the amount of little things I've managed to record.

I've also been taking photos in the garden, as you say, it's the little things that are important :D
RiverSong
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland