walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui 70 years on

Ben Macdui 70 years on

by rohan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:23 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui

Date walked: 21/09/1943

Time taken: 61303 hours

Distance: 33.3 km

Ascent: 1474m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Macdui 70 years on

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Made me think a bit of Janet Adam Smith's Mountain Holidays.
I think that in 1943 my forebears would have been labourers or cannon fodder. The hills must have been pretty empty then anyway and quite a journey to undertake with no help at hand in case of difficulties.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Ben Macdui 70 years on

Postby rohan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 am

Made me think a bit of Janet Adam Smith's Mountain Holidays.

Possibly because it is of a similar era. Nowadays writings would be sprinkled with "awesome" and "stonking" ( I use the latter overmuch)

The hills must have been pretty empty then anyway and quite a journey to undertake with no help at hand in case of difficulties.

The Cairngorms were pretty busy with troop training, so although they only met "the Long Man" there were probably others not too far away ( maybe even one of your forebears, learning how to be canon fodder). No mobile phones though, but I remember the days walking without them not so long ago.
rohan

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland