walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Cro, Torrin

Beinn na Cro, Torrin

Postby martyn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Route description: Beinn na Cro, Torrin

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn na Cro

Date walked: 18/12/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tried an alternative to this route today. Started at the Blue Shed Cafe in Torrin. Followed the signed footpath beyond Fearnoch B & B (highly recommended) towards Strollamus. Path is a bit splishy-splashy right now but not a man-eating bog. After about 3km, there is a small stone cairn at the highest point on the bealach. From there, I followed a bearing of 290 degrees over steadily rising ground (good going underfoot) for about 1km up to the ridge running NNE from the summit of Bienn na Cro. Route-finding is straightforward from here - if the faint path fades, just stick to the crest. It's a short steep pull up to the summit. Stopped several times for photos as the views unfolded in all directions. Descent southwards from the summit is steep and stony in places and the path is none too clear. Again, I just stuck to the (rather indeterminate) ridge but kept right where a shallow depression marks the start of what soon becomes a stream. When I neared the fence, I followed the increasingly boggy path down rightwards until I fetched up near the road bridge (courtesy of the EU) at the head of the loch. Then 1km or so back along the road (great views over the loch to Bla Bheinn) to my starting point at the Blue Shed Cafe. Never saw a soul all day whilst I was 'off road' but spotted plenty of deer (I could hear a rut over on Beinn Dearg Mhor), a big flock of migrating geese in formation and an eagle.
Got some good photos (I hope! - have left my USB cable at home in Kent!) through the shower clouds with the sun reflecting in patches off the loch, as well as the standard panoramic ones from the summit.
martyn
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland