walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Solo Munro

First Solo Munro

Postby allymacp » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stuchd an Lochain

Date walked: 17/09/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After being set back by the weather on Sunday, I was glad to get out today, after taking a long weekend from work, the last thing I wanted was for the weather to ruin it all! I dont mind getting the waterproofs on, but when your out in a storm, thats just not much fun.

I set out early from Glasgow, hitting Stirling Castle just as the sun rose over the top of it, and became more excited at completing my first munro solo. I had decided to do Meall Buidhe, just purely as it seemed fairly straight forward, and while I have done a few more precarious walks/munros with my others, I just felt good to get one under my belt and go from there.

A superb drive over the Ben Lawers road (highlight was three deer running alongside the car) to Bridge of Balgie, then upto Lochan Daimh...or so i thought. Somewhere on the road I missed the turn off for the dam and realised my mistake at Stronuich Reservoir. Anxious to start and not wanting to turn back and hunt for the road (as it turns out I was obviously immersed in the view and valley, as the turn off is dead easy!), I parked up at the reservoir got the waterproofs on and started walking.

Knowing I was at the back of Stuchd an Lochain, I opted for this one today instead. I started up the pretty steep hill, picking my way through the ferns and grasses until I hit the brow of the hill. I then started north towards the ridge just behind S.a.L and over the flat moor behind the newly chosen munro, when the wind and rain came gusting to my left. This led to the stinging cold and wet face, but also at this point I felt really great to be out, on my own, and striding across open ground to meet my first munro top on my own. The freedom previously felt when out with others was great but this was something entirely different.

walkhighlands 1.jpg
walkhighlands 2.jpg

I reached the top of the corrie above Lochan nan Cat, which was just a great big bowl with steep sides, and joined the path which had come up from the where I would have started Meall Buidhe (!)

walkhighlands 3.jpg

walkhighlands 4.jpg

A quick run and scramble upto the summit and just time for a few pictures before the biting cold forced the camera back into the bag and the hands up the sleeves (forgot my gloves - one of the lessons learnt today :wink: ) I came down and marvelled again at the remoteness and the lack of people and couldnt keep the smile of my face. The views west up Glen Lyon were great, and with the weather looking fierce that way, really forbidding. The light dusting of snow just added to the magic!

walkhighlands 5.jpg

I was back down at the car by 11 and on my way back to Glasgow feeling pretty chuffed with myself. Although it wasn't a particularly eventful walk, it'll be remembered for the first time I struck out on my own to add to the list. Little obstacles to be overcome, taking the wrong road, forgetting gloves, going off the path and navigating myself, all a learning curve on the way to the big 284!!

walk highlinds 6.jpg
I bloody love this place!
allymacp
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:12
Grahams:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:5   

Re: First Solo Munro

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Congratulations on your first Solo, how did you find it? there is something rather special about walking on your own, don't you think? alone with nature. I do most of my walking alone these days, but also really enjoy some company from time to time. Look forward to seeing many of your future reports. :)
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:75   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 pm

It's a good feeling to get your first solo one done, gives you the confidence to do more. For me it was the only way if i wanted to finish the Munros and like Rod i do a lot on my own and others in company but all enjoyable and never lonely. :D
Johnny Corbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:18   Corbetts:206
Grahams:160   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:269   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Congratz on your first solo. I did my first solo earlier this year, so the feeling is very much still fresh. I loved it. I love walking with others, usually my wife, and having the beginnings of Munro bagging as something we do together is excellent ... but bagging some solo (even if it means I'll be doing those summits again), is - for me - amazing.
SecretSquirrel
Hill Bagger

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Grahams:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   

Postby allymacp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks very much folks! :D Felt great being able to stride out on your own, knowing you have the place to yourself, its the stunning bleakness I love and being where no-one else is. The realisation that if i'm to complete them all, I have to build up a knowledge of what i'm doing when I'm on my own. Thanks again hopefully the first of many :D
allymacp
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:12
Grahams:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:5   

Postby GillC » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Man, cant believe there's snow up there already,, brrrrrrrrr :shock:
Looks like a great day,,and an interesting route, certainly beat the knee killer of a descent back to Glen Lyon, I remember looking down to Stronuich res from the top. Well done on your first solo outing too,,something special about having these places to yourself. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Grahams:28   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Like your thistle shot!

I too missed the turn on the toad for Meall Buidhe (but turned back for it) and have been caught out without gloves when needing them. As you say all part of the learning curve. When we came down Stuchd an Lochain we dropped down to the lochan and came across a hind with new born calf (it was June) but apart from that it probably wasn't the best way to return. :D
dogplodder

Munros:227   Corbetts:53
Grahams:16   
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland