walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Closer to Heaven on Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Closer to Heaven on Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 918m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_Beinn na h-Eaglaise 2013-09-14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After seeing this intriguing little hill from Maol Chean-dearg last week, I knew it was high up on the list. So no time like the present, I thought, and headed off Saturday morning.

It seems to be the story of my life - starting off in the rain/drizzle/mist/damp and then the day clears up and I get the stupendous views. :)

I parked by the bridge which crosses Allt Coire Roill just up from the Torridon Inn. I was quite happy when I got out of the trees and out on the open hill. No problem crossing the burn but discovered that one of my newish Berghaus boots is leaking, so I had a wet foot all day :(

Left the path after crossing the third small burn coming down off the hillside and took a rough diagonal (there are no paths here) heading for the lochan at 600m. All the hill-tops were still shrouded and it was very showery so really had to use the map and compass to find the lower top (at 676m). There's a tiny cairn and everything surrounding it is slightly lower so I just assumed I hit it! However, I wanted to go down to investigate some of the layers I had seen for Maol Chean-dearg but I don't think I went far enough. The rain had stopped and the mist was clearing - life was good :D A couple of ravens came to visit and then miraculously the cloud lifted and there was Beinn Damph towering above me.

Loch an Eoin with its little islands.

But the star of the show was Maol Chean-dearg itself just across the corrie. Still raining on Fuar Tholl. Maol Chean-dearg on the right and Sgorr Ruadh on the left.

Mist clearing from the summit... by AnnieMacD, on Flickr

After hopping about on the rocks and taking lots of photos I tackled the true summit - there are a few false ones on the shoulder on the way up, but the 'real' one has a fairly large cairn and amazing views of the Torridon trio of Beinn Alligin, Liathach and Beinn Eighe. Additionally, Sgorr Ruadh, Beinn Liath Mhor, Fuar Tholl and even An Ruadh-stac all show their tops off. There are also fabulous views of Torridon village and upper Loch Torridon.

A partial rainbow towards Liathach and Beinn Eighe.
Beinn na h-Eaglaise 2013.09.14-9 by AnnieMacD, on Flickr

Liathach and Glen Torridon.

Beinn Alligin.

Torridon village.

I decided to return via the north-west shoulder which was much more interesting than going straight down the west heathery slope. Again, there are no formal paths but you do see some sections of deer paths going down the ridge and I followed them in the steeper/rockier parts. I have this theory that if a deer can do it, I can do it. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it has served me well on the mostly pathless Applecross hills).

The route down.

More views from the descent. Beinn Alligin and the lovely garden of the Torridon Hotel in the lower centre.

Torridon, Liathach and Beinn Eighe.

Back to tree level.

I had forgotten it was the day of Gerry's Applecross Duathlon and I'm sure I met at least 50 vehicles on the Bealach na Ba road on the way home. Much more tiring that going up to heaven on Beinn na h-Eaglaise :lol: :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Closer to Heaven on Beinn na h-Eaglaise

Postby Sunny Speyside » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:00 pm

I climbed this wee graham in April - all the more enjoyable I think because there are no paths. There was still snow on the ground but great views all around. Glad you too had a good day.
Cheers
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby PeteR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Some superb photos :D

That looks like a great little hill and one to keep in mind when I do eventually get myself back up to Torridon :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Loch an Eoin is lovely - must go up there again as I didn't have camera when I climbed Maol Chean-dearg in 2001. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby stravaiger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:46 pm

That's a cracking picture of the mist clearing, superb!
stravaiger
Stravaiging

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:51 pm

That's a seriously great set of photos, great stuff :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:28 pm

missed this first time round - excellent set of photos, esp the B&W shot - wondered if you used a red filter to emphasise the effect ? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks everyone!

rockhopper wrote:missed this first time round - excellent set of photos, esp the B&W shot - wondered if you used a red filter to emphasise the effect ? - cheers :)

Thanks, rockhopper. I used Nik software Silver Efex Pro but don't remember which effect I selected. :?
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Postby railton22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 am

Wow!!! These photos are amazing :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Just love Torridon. Ben Alligan was one of our fave climbs to date; not yet tackled Liathach, may have to wait a while for that one.

Has the Highland tourist board snapped you up because this has to be one of the best set of photos I've come across?

Just brilliant.
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jonniegutrot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Pictures are very professional looking but where is the photographer...?
Jonniegutrot
Munro compleatist

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Jonniegutrot wrote:Pictures are very professional looking but where is the photographer...?
... behind the camera!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland