walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mountain rescue

Mountain rescue

by dogplodder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhoin via the Shelter Stone

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin

Date walked: 30/08/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Mountain rescue

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:32 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Wow!!!

If you are going to injure yourself this is how to do it (Moira's way!)......
Stunning scenery.
Get help from people training for the Himalayas with back up from D of E candidates.
Have the option of sheltering in a bivvy.
Be delicately handled by hunky helicopter chaps.
Arrange for beautiful weather.
Get fantastic views of our amazing country from the helicopter.
But best of all have a top notch super dooper pal like Kathleen to be there every step/limp of the way!

Agree with all of the above except there was no super dooper pal - only one who did what any of us would have done in those circumstances! :D

Well done Pauline on your excellent time for the Nessie run and all that dosh raised for MR! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 am

Huff_n_Puff wrote:It's always good to know the story has a happy ending - having seen you and Moira on several trips this year its amazing to see how far she has come from such a nasty injury, with lots of invaluable support from friends too I guess. :D :D
Great report and pics, and yes all credit to the rescue guys and Raigmore A&E - I've needed their services a couple of times myself and think they are brilliant :D :D

Thanks HP - absolutely second what you say about RAF guys and Raigmore A & E. When emergencies happen it makes you proud to be British! :D
dogplodder

Postby bar72 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:00 pm

Glad to hear moira's OK and you got some cracking pics from the chopper :clap:
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:68   Donalds:67+36
Sub 2000:73   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:35 pm

caperkaillie wrote:sorry to hear of your difficult day,could i add a comment;your feet could be clad in a pair of shoes with ankle support;i continue to use leather boots,and find they help in saving ankles in difficult situations.glad youre back on the hills once again moira. :)

My boots always used to be leather until I discovered the comfort of fabric ones. Didn't think leather was better for ankle support. Is this the general opinion? :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 pm

bar72 wrote:Glad to hear moira's OK and you got some cracking pics from the chopper :clap:

Thanks bar72. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:53 pm

caperkaillie wrote:sorry to hear of your difficult day,could i add a comment;your feet could be clad in a pair of shoes with ankle support;i continue to use leather boots,and find they help in saving ankles in difficult situations.glad youre back on the hills once again moira. :)

Now that Moira's returned from 3 weeks in the US :D I've learned the boots she was wearing the day of the accident WERE leather ones - 3 season Nuback leather by Meindl - which should have given good protection. Don't think any kind of boots would have saved her ankle that day! :(
dogplodder

Postby Bod » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:03 am

Wonderful that Moira has enjoyed a few more hills again this year, and how lovely of Jack to sit closely to her at the time of the accident and keep her warm :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Bod wrote:Wonderful that Moira has enjoyed a few more hills again this year, and how lovely of Jack to sit closely to her at the time of the accident and keep her warm :D :D :D

Jack maybe reckoned it kept him warm too! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:46 pm

An epic tale and seems Moira was unfazed and smiled throughout!
Great photos.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Old Bill » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Fascinating read - glad you're all ok now. And again the work of the RAF cannot be under-appreciated!

Although you never really want to see one those big yellow whirly birds are always such a reassuring sight - it will be weird not to see them again soon.
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby redrook » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Great read (and pics), and a really good reminder about how easily and innocently things can go awry without anyone being at fault. Sometimes you just have bad luck, and that's why MR are there. I hope you went back and gave it another (successful) go!\

p.s. I'm sure the red and grey birds will take on the same persona for the current and next generation of walkers and climbers that the yellow ones did for the previous.
redrook

Munros:135   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   Donalds:8

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:01 pm

redrook wrote:Great read (and pics), and a really good reminder about how easily and innocently things can go awry without anyone being at fault. Sometimes you just have bad luck, and that's why MR are there. I hope you went back and gave it another (successful) go!\

p.s. I'm sure the red and grey birds will take on the same persona for the current and next generation of walkers and climbers that the yellow ones did for the previous.

Moira made a donation to RAF Kinloss at the time of her rescue, but it was always her intention to do something to raise funds for Mountain Rescue so when I suggested doing the WHW to mark turning 70 it seemed an ideal opportunity. I've got a double interest as a few years later another of my friends broke her ankle and was airlifted to Raigmore - an uncomfortable case of deja vu!

In addition to Moira and Mary's rescues I'm indebted to Mountain Rescue for the recovery of Kath Irvine in 2013 and more recently Neil and Alan Gibson whose family I've known for many years.The work of these brave volunteers can never be fully appreciated and not a single one of us knows when we may need them.

Please consider making a donation no matter how small. Many thanks.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/moira-merriweather
dogplodder

32 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland