walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

Postby maddjock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:14 am

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich

Date walked: 23/02/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

With the spectacular weather we have had here at the beginning of the week and finding myself with an unexpected day off, I decided to take a wee trip down the road and ascend Sgurr a'Mhaoraich. Myself and a couple of mates used to come camping down here in Kinlochourn in the early 90's and I hadn't been back since.

I have never really been such a fan of winter walking, only doing a couple or so every year, but have really relished it this year. Not sure why that is.

Having parked about a kilometre or so after the bridge connecting Glen Quoich with Loch Quoich, I began the ascent on what is a very good stalkers path and in no time at all I was on the wide ridge of Bac nan Canaichean looking towards the top of Sgurr Coire nan Eiricheallach and the summit of Sgurr a'Mhaoraich.
top.jpg

The weather was absolutely fantastic; blue skies and sunshine. Contrasting with the white snow, the landscape was a photographers dream. Just off the top of Sgurr Coire nan Eiricheallach, there was a recent cleared patch of snow - a tent pitch - Kinley...? Following in the footsteps of the previous couple of walkers I headed for the summit. At this point the local wildlife popped out to say hi.
bop.jpg

ptarmigan.jpg

ptarmigan-2.jpg

ptarmigan1.jpg

ptarmigan3.jpg

About halfway now between the 2 tops;
halfway.jpg

up2.jpg

up.jpg

It then got a little bit tricky;
tricky.jpg

this report from Bigbertie shows the same spot from above.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=655" rel="nofollow

the final pull up;
final-ascent.jpg

Once the summit is reached the views open out over Loch Hourn. It is simply stunning with the beautiful backdrop of the Cuillin.
summit.jpg

summitt3.jpg

summitt2.jpg

panorama.jpg

It had been a fantastic walk but the wind was getting up slightly now and I had work later. Descended south/south westerly back to the road and a couple of kilometres from the van. Total trip time of 6 hours. I reckon this would be a pretty easy munro in the summer with the good path and quick ascent.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by maddjock on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Re: Sgurr a'Mhaoraich

Postby malky_c » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:21 am

Truly brilliant those photos - nothing better than the West Coast in these conditions. We seem to be paying for all that great weather now though. I like your ptarmigan photos - I tried to get some like this last weekend but the damn things wouldn't stay still for long enough. I suppose a lens with a decent zoom is the way forward...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby gaffr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 am

Very fine images of your trip. The ptarmigan shots are as good as any I have seen! Is that a raven in the shot of the bird's undercarriage.....on the final day of the fine weather! Many Thanks.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby maddjock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 am

thanks guys...

its not a very long zoom, equivalent to about 140mm on most digital SLRs but I did get quite close to them.
Not sure what kind of a bird that is gaffr... :oops: not my strong point im afraid...

and I cant seem to edit the walk file, for some reason it is showing up in the middle of my post... :?:
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Michelle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm

What a brilliant day for the photos! Nice one Maddjock :D

According to my photos, it was that same type of bird that circled directly overhead as I sat down for a quick bite to eat on Ben Cruachan (hopefully it didn't have its eye on ME- but I WAS quite tired-looking I'm sure! ;) ) I'd be curious if anyone can say what it is...
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby Alastair S » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Michelle wrote:What a brilliant day for the photos! Nice one Maddjock :D.

Seconded - the first one of the ptarmigan is my favourite. Never seem one so white.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kinley » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:56 pm

Absolutely cracking photos! 8)

Probably the most beautiful area in Scotland :D

Great Ptarmigan shots - they start getting a bit more territorial over these months so you can get quite close - beautiful white still :D

Think you BoP is a Buzzard - quite a lot of white to the underwings. There are Golden Eagles in the area though.

Not us in the tent - unfortunately :lol:
kinley

Postby maddjock » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 pm

kinley wrote:Absolutely cracking photos! 8)

Probably the most beautiful area in Scotland :D

Great Ptarmigan shots - they start getting a bit more territorial over these months so you can get quite close - beautiful white still :D

Think you BoP is a Buzzard - quite a lot of white to the underwings. There are Golden Eagles in the area though.

Not us in the tent - unfortunately :lol:

Golden eagle was my initial thought... there was a pair of them, and a fair bit larger than a buzzard they were. And have to disagree with you tho Im afraid and say that I think this could be the most beautiful area in Scotland only after Strathfarrar/Monar :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby audreywaugh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Nice to see what the hill actually looks like, was a horrible day when i did this at beginning of October last year. Thanks for sharing the views we should have seen :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland