walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Day in Aberdeenshire - Part 1 - Bennachie

A Day in Aberdeenshire - Part 1 - Bennachie

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bennachie (Oxen Craig)

Date walked: 20/09/2013

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 543m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast indicated that the best weather today would be in the East so I decided to make a day of it and start with Bennachie.

I was parked at the Back o' Bennachie car park and on my way for 9.30am.

There are plenty of reports for Bennachie and in all honesty it is so straight forward and well signed there is little need for much comment.

In summary, I took the Quarry Trail onto the open hill and near Oxen Craig took a right turn to the summit.

1.jpg
Starting the walk through the trees

2.jpg
Out of the trees

3.jpg
Oxen Craig - Bennachie Summit

4.jpg
Looking towards Mither Tap

5.jpg
Oxen Craig

6.jpg
Oxen Craig

From Oxen Craig you quickly realise that the map, Garmin etc can be put away for the day as everything is in front of you and very obvious (and if it's not obvious it's also signposted all the way). From OC I headed for Mither Tap seeing more planes than people (seemed to be on the flight path in to Dyce).

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg
Mither Tap

12.jpg

13.jpg

After Mither Tap it was back to Craigshannoch.

14.jpg

15.jpg
Craigshannoch Top

16.jpg
Looking over to Oxen Craig

17.jpg
Looking back to Mither Tap

18.jpg
Heading home

I haven't said much about this walk as there are numerous other reports on this hill. All I would say is it is great fun and a brilliant hill that I would love to go back to, probably in winter. If you prefer quiet hills this one is a definite midweek trip.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: A Day in Aberdeenshire - Part 1 - Bennachie

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks for posting Gordie, I hope to be following you up there very soon, Aberdeenshire here I come! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:58 am

Good pictures, thanks for sharing.

I don't think it matters how many other reports there are, each person sees things at least a little differently, takes at least slightly different pics etc. just as each hill in itself is different on different days, at different times of day and at different times of year.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:37 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Thanks for posting Gordie, I hope to be following you up there very soon, Aberdeenshire here I come! :D

Hi Rod

Quite an easy area for you to get to from Carnoustie and a lot of red for you to cover!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland