walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Catastrophic Cairngorms Climbing

Catastrophic Cairngorms Climbing

by jupe1407 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 21/09/2013

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 1565m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Catastrophic Cairngorms Climbing

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:33 pm

PeteR wrote:Some fine photos jupe :D

These are great hills, but still make for tough days.

Picking the right line for that descent off Macdui is a bit tricky for sure. I did take a look at the idea of Carn a Mhaim from Macdui, but was glad to opt for Sron Riath instead. I hope your knees aren't suffering too bad now.

I had read on the site that descending to CaM wasn't a lot of fun. That person was right. A steep and seemingly endless boulderfield wasn't in my top ten of fun hill stuff. :lol:

gneiss-camper wrote:
BlackPanther wrote:I think the reason us, hillwalkers, return to the mountains, is that SATISFACTION always outgrows pain :lol: :lol:

Although a gait assessment and proper footbeds (+/- a compass :wink: )can mean that satisfaction may be pain-free.

Seriously - if you're getting searing knee pains on descent consider doing something about it before it becomes a chronic issue. A podiatrist or physio perhaps.

It's a throwback to a running injury in 2011. TBH i should really invest in poles and use the foam roller a lot more.

Sabbathstevie wrote:Really enjoyed both the pics and your report (in a completely un-sadistic way) - this an area I'm desperate to fumble my way into also.

Definately shared your pain in the cigarette stakes on more than one occasion!

Probably the most satisfying tab i've ever had. Immediately followed a pack of Doritos and a kit kat. A fine three courser :lol:

BlackPanther wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:I started to fantasise about being time-warped 3 hours forward when i'd be in the car, nearly home.

Sounds kinda familiar :lol: :lol: I catch myself sometimes, thinking about being back in the car during a long, tiring walk.

An honest report and lovely photos. We did Macdui & Derry from Speyside earlier this year and they are great hills. To make you feel better I can only add, that the return route from the other side involves climbing up Coire Raibert in the final part of the day and it was a real pain :shock:
I think the reason us, hillwalkers, return to the mountains, is that SATISFACTION always outgrows pain :lol: :lol:
Cheers, BP

By the time i'd got home, although sore, I was pretty happy that I'd managed a pretty big day, albeit slightly by accident. Now when's my next walk ....

Sunny Speyside wrote:Some fine photos here Jupe - hope the knee is on the mend but do get yourself some poles you'll be amazed at the difference they make on the descents.
Cheers

I really should. I think i've hummed and hayed over this since Torridon :lol: :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby ouroboros » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Jupe wrote:1. Check and re-check compass and bearings

I'll suggest an addition - corroboration of map to ground. Tends to get me acutely anxious if my feet aren't on the shape of hill that my map says is there.

Macdui to Sron Riach should be a very shallow descent of about 70m over a few hundred metres, followed by a nearly flat area before Sron Riach.

Following a bearing down 300m of steep descent isn't what the map says should happen and should set the alarm bells ringing.
ouroboros

Munros:282   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Great report John & some fantastic photos (as usual) :clap: :clap:

Sounds like a fun day out, bet you won't make the same mistakes again :wink:

Poles are the way ahead, pain in the neck when scrambling but well worth investing in, not sure you need fancy expensive ones. Got mine off Ebay less than £15 for a pair :D
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby ceaser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm

was up the Gorms the day john ,and my legs are like yours :) some fab pictures !
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 pm

ceaser wrote:was up the Gorms the day john ,and my legs are like yours :) some fab pictures !

Thanks mate. I don't think there's such a thing as a shortish walk up there :lol:

Cracking area though and definitely one to spend some serious time in. 1

Fife Flyer wrote:Great report John & some fantastic photos (as usual) :clap: :clap:

Sounds like a fun day out, bet you won't make the same mistakes again :wink:

Poles are the way ahead, pain in the neck when scrambling but well worth investing in, not sure you need fancy expensive ones. Got mine off Ebay less than £15 for a pair :D

Thanks, i think i'll have to finally bite the bullet, accept I have the knees of a 40 year old and invest in poles. :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby steven65 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 am

Hi Jupe - some days never quite turn out as initaily planned eh - we`ve ALL been there........................i`d initially planned to do Derry Cairngorm & Beinn Mheadhoin on Saturday , and then return to Linn of Dee over Ben Macdui & Carn a`Mhaim - but my son Marc -his boot sole gave up full contact with the boot whilst descending from Derry C down to Loch Etchachan - so a temporary fix/repair/bodge with a spare sock :lol: !!!!let us continue to Beinn Mheadhoin & return instead down Glen Derry. I was pretty made up for the 4 hills too & really looking forward to the day - like you no views on Derry Cairngorm - but quite clear whilst on Beinn Mh - although VERY windy - never saw Ban Macdui totally clear all day. Untill fairly recently i`d been very wary of the Cairngorms - i`ve only been there 5 times now & was maybe over awed by it`s vastness ? Can`t wait to get back soon - hopefully before too much snow arrives.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 am

steven65 wrote:Hi Jupe - some days never quite turn out as initaily planned eh - we`ve ALL been there........................i`d initially planned to do Derry Cairngorm & Beinn Mheadhoin on Saturday , and then return to Linn of Dee over Ben Macdui & Carn a`Mhaim - but my son Marc -his boot sole gave up full contact with the boot whilst descending from Derry C down to Loch Etchachan - so a temporary fix/repair/bodge with a spare sock :lol: !!!!let us continue to Beinn Mheadhoin & return instead down Glen Derry. I was pretty made up for the 4 hills too & really looking forward to the day - like you no views on Derry Cairngorm - but quite clear whilst on Beinn Mh - although VERY windy - never saw Ban Macdui totally clear all day. Untill fairly recently i`d been very wary of the Cairngorms - i`ve only been there 5 times now & was maybe over awed by it`s vastness ? Can`t wait to get back soon - hopefully before too much snow arrives.

I may have seen you guys on Saturday. When i was heading up towards Ben Macdui past the Coire back of 1pm, I saw two guys just starting up the slopes of Beann Mheadhoin. Looked like a steep ascent. The top was certainly much clearer than either of my Derry Cairngorm or Macdui.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:02 am

Hi Jupe, they are seriously long days up these hills, and certainly best tackled when your at the top of your fitness. I remember doing these hills along with Beinn Mheadhoin on a very hot day in June 1995, yes it's that far back! and I can still remember the pain I was in, and also suffering with sunburn, luckily I was not driving back. But these are the days you will remember longer, and yes we probably have all done it gone down the wrong side of a shoulder and found ourself heading in the wrong direction. :roll: Just call it a learning curve :lol: The main thing is you made it back safely :clap: :clap: . Yep I know about that road closure as well when I did Mount Blair :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:27 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Jupe, they are seriously long days up these hills, and certainly best tackled when your at the top of your fitness. I remember doing these hills along with Beinn Mheadhoin on a very hot day in June 1995, yes it's that far back! and I can still remember the pain I was in, and also suffering with sunburn, luckily I was not driving back. But these are the days you will remember longer, and yes we probably have all done it gone down the wrong side of a shoulder and found ourself heading in the wrong direction. :roll: Just call it a learning curve :lol: The main thing is you made it back safely :clap: :clap: . Yep I know about that road closure as well when I did Mount Blair :crazy:

It was certainly a memorable day!

The diversion signs were brilliant. No warning of a closure until well past Kirkton of Glenisla then a confusing series of signs randomly strewn around, one of which takes you to Cray, on the wrong side of the bridge closure :lol:

Mount Blair's a fine hill. I might go up it again on a clear winter's day. The views of Glen Shee and Monega Hill are terrific from there.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby gman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 am

Sounds like a memorable day! I did Carn a'Mhaim from Glen Dee on Monday, felt like a slog getting to the top from the ridge with all the ascent & false summits - not a boringly easy descent like Sron Riach :lol: . Got to be one of the best hills in the Cairngorms though.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:01 am

I'm not sure I would describe your day out as catastrophic... challenging maybe... :wink: . Oh, and a not inconsiderable effort either :) .

The poles thing has been mentioned and I would agree with that - you can pick up a pair pretty cheap if you shop about. I use PacerPoles now but used Tiso ones for years. The PP ones are definitely better but that doesn't mean the Tiso ones are not good.

I had pretty bad trouble with my knees last year despite using poles. A good rest will help a lot and I also took to wearing knee supports which were uncomfortable but much better than the sharp pain I was feeling previously. I got a cheap pair (spot a theme :lol: ?) in Tesco Home. Thankfully I have had no such problems since [crosses fingers].
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am

Och days out from Derry Lodge are always long, and always sore :lol:

I enjoyed your pics :D

Shame you took a wrong turn, but give it a week, and you will look back and laugh and have the story to tell for years to come :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:57 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:I'm not sure I would describe your day out as catastrophic... challenging maybe... :wink: . Oh, and a not inconsiderable effort either :) .

The poles thing has been mentioned and I would agree with that - you can pick up a pair pretty cheap if you shop about. I use PacerPoles now but used Tiso ones for years. The PP ones are definitely better but that doesn't mean the Tiso ones are not good.

I had pretty bad trouble with my knees last year despite using poles. A good rest will help a lot and I also took to wearing knee supports which were uncomfortable but much better than the sharp pain I was feeling previously. I got a cheap pair (spot a theme :lol: ?) in Tesco Home. Thankfully I have had no such problems since [crosses fingers].

I heartily endorse your theme :lol:

I played loads of football on crap surfaces when I was younger and picked up a few injuries here and there, so i'm probably paying the price now. I hadn't actually thought of knee supports at all. Good shout :D

basscadet wrote:Och days out from Derry Lodge are always long, and always sore :lol:

I enjoyed your pics :D

Shame you took a wrong turn, but give it a week, and you will look back and laugh and have the story to tell for years to come :)

Thanks, to be honest i stopped being p***ed off about it as soon as I crawled into my flat :lol:

I was just annoyed with myself at the time. On the plus side, I got an unplanned hill under the belt and some fine exercise, and my pals got a great excuse to rip the p*** out of me. :lol:

Definitely would do Carn a'Mhaim again though. What a view.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby nathan79 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 pm

A good read but all I could think was "now you've done that circuit the wrong way round"!
I remember meeting some people coming down the boulder field as I was ascending Macdui from CaM and I was so glad I wasn't doing it in descent. Still a toughie the other way round, especially when you run out of water on Derry Cairngorm. :lol:
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby riverlodge » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:21 pm

great report, superb pics.
did this round the other way a decade ago and nice to see some of the stuff i didnt see then. at least that way round from the Cairn a Mhaim ridge its pretty obvious a route UP Macdui!
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland