walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Catastrophic Cairngorms Climbing

Catastrophic Cairngorms Climbing

by jupe1407 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 21/09/2013

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 1565m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Catastrophic Cairngorms Climbing

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 pm

riverlodge wrote:great report, superb pics.
did this round the other way a decade ago and nice to see some of the stuff i didnt see then. at least that way round from the Cairn a Mhaim ridge its pretty obvious a route UP Macdui!

Yeah i think the other way round would have been far the better option!

Still, it's nice to have finally got into the high cairngorms. Even if one of the peaks was "unintentional" :lol:

nathan79 wrote:A good read but all I could think was "now you've done that circuit the wrong way round"!
I remember meeting some people coming down the boulder field as I was ascending Macdui from CaM and I was so glad I wasn't doing it in descent. Still a toughie the other way round, especially when you run out of water on Derry Cairngorm. :lol:

:lol:

NOT cool, with an enormous walk out!
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Great report on many levels John...and pics as good as always. :clap:
1. get poles (only reason I can still walk)
2. Walk the Ghru from Aviemore but climb up CAM from Corrour (steep but manageable). I enjoyed this several years ago.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby steven65 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 pm

jupe1407 wrote:
steven65 wrote:Hi Jupe - some days never quite turn out as initaily planned eh - we`ve ALL been there........................i`d initially planned to do Derry Cairngorm & Beinn Mheadhoin on Saturday , and then return to Linn of Dee over Ben Macdui & Carn a`Mhaim - but my son Marc -his boot sole gave up full contact with the boot whilst descending from Derry C down to Loch Etchachan - so a temporary fix/repair/bodge with a spare sock :lol: !!!!let us continue to Beinn Mheadhoin & return instead down Glen Derry. I was pretty made up for the 4 hills too & really looking forward to the day - like you no views on Derry Cairngorm - but quite clear whilst on Beinn Mh - although VERY windy - never saw Ban Macdui totally clear all day. Untill fairly recently i`d been very wary of the Cairngorms - i`ve only been there 5 times now & was maybe over awed by it`s vastness ? Can`t wait to get back soon - hopefully before too much snow arrives.

I may have seen you guys on Saturday. When i was heading up towards Ben Macdui past the Coire back of 1pm, I saw two guys just starting up the slopes of Beann Mheadhoin. Looked like a steep ascent. The top was certainly much clearer than either of my Derry Cairngorm or Macdui.

Aye , that was probably us the timeframe is right - it wasn`t too steep & quick progress was easily made ,of course the actual top was the furthest away Tor :lol: - we never met another soul on the hills apart from 3 guys from Newcastle in the Hutchison Memorial Hut on our way out - they were having a quick brew before heading up to Ben Macdui - i told them it would be dark early on....... headtorches & all , we had a wee joke about it !
I might head back to the Cairngorms this Sunday , if my 1st choice of Bridge of Orchy to Glen Etive falls through...........
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:53 pm

steven65 wrote:
Aye , that was probably us the timeframe is right - it wasn`t too steep & quick progress was easily made ,of course the actual top was the furthest away Tor :lol: - we never met another soul on the hills apart from 3 guys from Newcastle in the Hutchison Memorial Hut on our way out - they were having a quick brew before heading up to Ben Macdui - i told them it would be dark early on....... headtorches & all , we had a wee joke about it !
I might head back to the Cairngorms this Sunday , if my 1st choice of Bridge of Orchy to Glen Etive falls through...........

Yeah same here, apart from a couple of spanish lads on Macdui, and a quick hello to a couple of guys camping a mile or so short of the Luibeag bridge, it was an incredibly quiet day.

Until i came back and Derry Lodge was busy with a load of DoE kids. :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby sofargoner » Mon May 12, 2014 4:44 pm

this is the most entertaining report I have ever read - just love it - I'm a newbie in all respects but recognise great humour when I see it :-)
sofargoner

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:3   

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland