walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Blair, Glen Isla with a new viewfinder at the summit

Mount Blair, Glen Isla with a new viewfinder at the summit

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Route description: Mount Blair

Grahams included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 22/09/2013

Time taken: 1.25 hours

Distance: 4.6 km

Ascent: 393m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was too good a day to miss so I had the intention of heading off towards Braemar, but just beyond Blairgowrie the promised sunshine did not look too promising especially towards Glenshee where I was heading so decided to cut off at Blacklunans and head over to Mount Blair instead where the summit looked well clear of any cloud. Parked the car at the edge of the woods just past the Perth/Angus border sign at the parking place for the Graham Duchray Hill and walked along the road Eastwards for about five minutes to the gate to the grassy field at the end of the North East shoulder of Mount Blair. This gate is the start of a ATV track all the way to the summit, all in all very dry underfoot conditions.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Car parked on the side of the B951 just beside the tree plantation which extends up Mount Blair and also Duchray Hill, just five mins walk along the road to the gate at the foot of the ATV track
2.JPG
Access gate at roadside
3.JPG
Looking back towards Duchray Hill opposite
4.JPG
Further on you soon come to a gate which you can cross to gain access to the heathery summit track, no Purple I'm afraid all the colour now gone, so not as coulourful as when Ian Johnstone climbed it
5.JPG
Track tkes you all the way to the summit trig point and tellycommunications mast
6.JPG
Mast at the summit
7.JPG
New view indicator witha stainless steel capping piece now in place. I think this was in the process of being fitted when Graeme D, climbed the hill in June 2011. The memorial plaque has now been removed from within the shelter area On the SS capping piece there are 40 munros identified which can be seen subject to weather conditions
8.JPG
Huge summit cairn
9.JPG
Cairn and associated boundary fence posts
10.JPG
Inscription on the SS capping
11.JPG
View back down from the summit
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:75   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Re: Mount Blair, Glen Isla with a new viewfinder at the summ

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 pm

There were a lot of cows guarding the track through the field when I did it a few months ago (you might have switched to Duchray Hill that day :shock: )

How are the feet with the new boots, blisters the size of golf balls, black toe nails or is that just me???????
Gordie12
Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:62
Grahams:17   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Gordie12 wrote:There were a lot of cows guarding the track through the field when I did it a few months ago (you might have switched to Duchray Hill that day :shock: )

How are the feet with the new boots, blisters the size of golf balls, black toe nails or is that just me???????

Nae Cows today :D otherwise the wife would not have even started. Feet!, well one ankle was hurting so went back to the old boots today to see a wee rest from the new boots might help, no blisters but many black toe nails, but they were always in a bad state anyway :lol: so cannot blame the new boots for that.
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Nice to see they have sorted out the viewfinder. Was a bit of a mess when I was up there.
Graeme D

Munros:215   Corbetts:102
Grahams:64   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 am

A nice wee walk this one Rod. The viewfinder was a bit shabby when i did it, good to see the new look. :D
Johnny Corbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:18   Corbetts:206
Grahams:160   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:269   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby denfinella » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Fancy viewfinder! And yes, there were lots of cows when we were up there too, so you must've been lucky...
denfinella
Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:34
Grahams:21   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 pm

denfinella wrote:Fancy viewfinder! And yes, there were lots of cows when we were up there too, so you must've been lucky...

Hi denfinella, a right fancy viewfinder right enough, never seen anything quite like it before. I don't know when it was completed but I see by your report there might have been a start made, but on Graeme D's report from 2011 it looked as if some work had already started with the capping piece, unless it was stolen and then replaced :( Glad the cows were elsewhere right enough :lol:
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland