walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snow in Glen Shiel

Snow in Glen Shiel

Postby bigbertie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Date walked: 02/02/2010

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All these snowy photos - I can't resist adding a few, although this was not a proper walk - I was at the Cluanie Inn with my wife and woke up to an unexpectedly nice day, so went up to the end of the Five Sisters ridge. I didn't get far along the ridge - the crest was 4 ft deep powder which made walking impossible, but I did get some photos. Here are a few....
2010 02 03 001a.jpg
Early morning - the moon sets over south Glen Shiel ridge.

2010 02 02 010a.jpg
Faochag and the Saddle

2010 02 02 017a.jpg
Saileag

2010 02 02 023a.jpg
Five Sisters ridge - Sgurr Fhuaran to the right.

2010 02 02 026a.jpg
The ridge again - not a footprint in sight.

2010 02 02 033a.jpg
The Saddle again - streaming cloud now.

After this, cloud and snow came in over the lower end of the glen and I retreated, but the winter traverse of the Five sisters is now definitely on my to-do list.
bigbertie

Re: Snow in Glen Shiel

Postby Glenrothes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I have driven up this Glen tens and tens of of times and have completed all the Glen Shiel munros but have never seen them looking so brilliant

Thanks for posting the photos Bertie and yes, a winter traverse of the ridge is a bit of a 'must do' now!!!!!
Glenrothes

Postby Wanderlust » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Great pics :D
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby kinley » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Wow :D
kinley

Postby Alastair S » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Fabulous :D - I take it these were taken fairly recently?
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby mountain coward » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 pm

They're stunning pics... Faochag looks especially spectacular (and intimidating :D )... The Saileag pic is especially beautiful but then I think that's a lovely hill... what was it like getting up to the pass? Did you go up the horridly steep side from the road?
mountain coward

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:53 pm

nice photos there. was up last summer in rotten conditions and had a nasty fall over the back of sgurr na sgine, I will be back (prob not in winter though)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby bigbertie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Alistair S - photos taken on 2nd Feb this year

Mountain C - I went straight up from the road to Bealach an Lapain. A lot of soft snow, but it was fairly easy - I didn't bother trying to find the path as it is quite rough in places and was obscured by the snow. I had expected less snow on the ridge as the wind usually blows it off, but it was actually deeper - a bit worrying!

Gable Gable End - bad luck on Sgurr na Sgine. It was rotten weather when I did it too. Clearly a hill to avoid!
bigbertie

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 am

Great Gable End - that sounds nasty - what happened?

BigBertie - I've been up both sides onto that col and I hated the side up from the road as it was far too steep for me! The way up from the glen at the back was much nicer to my mind... It is surprising that there was more snow on the actual ridge though, especially as it's so narrow - you would think it would blow off!
mountain coward

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 am

MC:

went up to do an overnighter and work over to the south GS ridge. Had taken the time off work and still went ahead with it in poor weather, sadly my pal turned back as he was feeling ill and idiot-head here went on and continued ("but I came all this way....").

Visibility was very poor, rain chucking it but i continued round. Went up saddle facing side of Fochaig and then over the Sgurr Na Sgine and up the face of it. Planned to head down the slope at the side and round by the wall which runs along the backside of the summit (about 80metres down).

Kinda got my bearings slightly wrong and went down a steeper bit than I should have, big rock toppled out of the ground and then I started to fall/rock/slide down the hill with a heavy packweight, scree flying over my head and hitting me on route. Fell about 60/70ft but managed to stop by smashing my thigh/knee into a massive rock then grab on for dear life. Thankfully I managed to stop as after that rock was practically vertical for a while.

Tore my meniscus tissue in knee, lots of swollen bruises, cuts, bashes, ripped clothes etc. Genuinely thought I was going to die and said it repeatedly as I was flying down the hill. Stayed precariously perched on the rock for about 20 mins then worked my way across the slope for the next hour, Im sure there was brown stuff working its way out of my rear. Then had to climb back up the to get my map and compass which flew off in the fracas. Annoyingly the food and liquid in bag was bashed about so much that it soaked the bag contents :? . Got down in a lot of pain but it was a long walk back to the road, thankfully my pal came back from Spean Bridge and we stayed in a hostel in Glengarry for the night, washing my bag contents in the shower and generally moaning over a few beers. Woke up and was unable to move my knee and in a lot of pain. Thankfully I didn't camp as I considered when making way way back to the road.

Also seen a similar story from someone who had to be airlifted as the bit behind the summit is apparently "not 100% accurate" on the OS map. Not sure if I agree with that, I think it was me who messed up! :lol:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby maddjock » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 pm

ouch... that is some scary story :shock: hope you're all right now...

nice pics by the way bb :thumbup:
maddjock
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland