walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A windy day in Glen Isla, and throw in a Corbett as well

A windy day in Glen Isla, and throw in a Corbett as well

Postby weescotsman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Route description: Monega Hill and Glas Maol round from Glen Isla

Munros included on this walk: Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Date walked: 22/09/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20.75 km

Ascent: 1135m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Originally planned this walk for April. but a few tonnes of snow caused a postponement, and now having done the route, I reckon we made the right call as there are plenty of places where avalanches could occur.

Decided to do this walk in the reverse direction that WH recommends, so instead of a 200m lung bursting climb near the end, we had a pleasant stroll out instead.... :D A strong SW wind was another reason, but that would be in our faces for the first hour or so. And this route did leave Monamench Hill at the start and by gum that was a tough start, straight into a 780m ascent. Legs were pumping hard by the time I reached the top, and needed a couple of stops on the way. But a lucky bonus was we spotted a huge herd of deer in the bealach between Monamench and Black Hill. Must have been at least 200 deer in the group, hopefully someone with a decent zoom lens will have got a good photo of them.

Lunch was taken in the shadow of Craig Leacach which looked magnificent now that the early clag had been blown away, leaving us blue skies and sunshine all day.
It was still a tough pull up the side of Leacach and once there we had the full force of the wind pushing us sideways at times. But it was mainly on our backs. Plenty of other folks out on these hills but we were the only party doing the route from Auchaven Farm. Much prefer doing a circular route where possible, especially on these hills where the conventional route might leave a 3 or 4 mile hike up a potentially busy road.

Finally reached the summit cairn of Leacach after 4 hrs but didn't hang around much as it was still a full on wind at this point. It's not much of a summit anyways as it's part of a wall, so we continued on towards Glas Maol. Much easier going here as it was mainly grass to walk on and the wind on our backs helped with the uphill trek.

Took us about another hour to get to the shelter cairn on Glass Maol and it was a nice spot for lunch part 2. And despite the wind. I had an attempt at star-fishing (copyright RR) but in all honesty it was a lame attempt. I was more concerned about the wind blowing me off. There is a pic taken by someone else but so far it's not been uploaded yet.

After a nice break, it was onwards and downwards to Little Glas Maol. Such a lovely spot and as we were quite sheltered a group decision was made to have a wee lie down in the warm sunshine before heading back down back to the car park. Such a pleasant day with good company and loads of photo's taken by others. I only had my phone camera with me but they turned out alright despite the camera shake caused by the wind.

8 hrs to complete wasn't too bad since the first 2 were pretty much head on into the wind. It was only when crossing the final burn that I remembered my hipflask. So a wee toot was partaken. Better late than never....
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Re: A windy day in Glen Isla, and throw in a Corbett as well

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Nice, but do please believe me when I say that they are lovely winter hills too (avalanches notwithstanding)! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby weescotsman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Graeme D wrote:Nice, but do please believe me when I say that they are lovely winter hills too (avalanches notwithstanding)! :D

I believe you Graeme, think the most dangerous part for avalanche risk in winter would be the stretch in between Leacach and Glas Maol as it's pretty rocky as well noted in the WH guide.... :shock:

Access to the start point past Auchavan farm would be more challenging in winter conditions as well though, unless you happen to drive a 4x4 of course. Hopefully the roadworks blocking the B951 from the A93 will be done soon, it's quite a long detour to get around them..... :shock:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Excellent, well done! :D looks like you got some nice views, need to get up to this area soon. Dave.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby davedanson28 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:48 pm

What I meant Brian was I need to get back up to this area! Dodgey keg board! Ha ha. :lol:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby weescotsman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:11 pm

davedanson28 wrote:What I meant Brian was I need to get back up to this area! Dodgey keg board! Ha ha. :lol:

Yeah I thought you and the wee man done all 6 of these recently.... :wink: Quite fancy a winter walk up here, but again all depends upon the weather as the police are quick to shut the snowgates on the A93 before you even get close to the turnoff. And it's a long detour to come in from the Braemar direction....... :lol:

AE ridge next June for my 100th (hopefully....)

p.s. I'd say it's maybe Fat Finger syndrome on yr keyboard, I suffer from this as well occasionally..... :lol:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Postby sprintster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 pm

I just did this walk yesterday in the direction you advised.Definitely the way to go to get Monamenach and the peat hags out of the way at the start of the day!
sprintster
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:23
Fionas:7   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland