walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of the Wangie (Moray)

Hill of the Wangie (Moray)

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of the Wangie

Date walked: 20/02/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 160m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 20/02/010
Hill - Hill of the Wangie (319m)
Route - Approach on forest tracks/hillside from south. Parked at NJ139531
Weather - Brilliant day. Cold and snow covered with blue sky and sunshine.
People - Me (+ dogs)
Time - 2 Hours
Distance - 2km
Ascent - 160m
Max Altitude - 319m

Last weekend I was dog-sitting for my parents and staying through this way. Decided to take a jaunt up a wee local hill as part of my dog walking duties. It's been a good couple of months since I've had a proper mountain adventure and I'm dying to get back out. Took delivery of winter gear the other day so that's me just about set to go :D This trip was actually the debut for my new Manta boots which were great :thumbup:

Route:
Head up the track a little from the starting point and soon enough a gap in the trees at NJ138532 reveals a clearing that would be a shortcut to ascend on to the forest track above. I chose to follow the track to the junction at NJ134533, then turned east toward NJ137533 before making a direct ascent up the hillside to the track at NJ137534. From there I used a Google map and GPS to navigate the fire breaks to the summit and managed to find the trig point easily. I made a direct descent from the summit, following a fire break and then through the forest plus a little bit on a mountain bike trail, and rejoined the track at NJ134533 and retraced my route back to the start

Apparently the trig point on this hill is notoriously hard to find and failed attempts are not uncommon. Certainly using OS maps alone would prove difficult as the 1:25k only shows the major fire breaks and there are many more to navigate. GPS and an aerial shot of all the breaks made the job fairly easy.

20100220wh_hillofthewangie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking back towards car as I begin

Looking up the hill from NJ138532. A possible ascent route, but I continued on the track

The fork in the track at NJ134533 where I turned right to head east along the track

View toward Dallas

Looking South

Wind farm in the distance

Distant hills

The Dogs

Admiring the view

One of the many fire breaks...

Found it!

Reward

Another look toward Dallas on the descent

A couple more views...

:D
Last edited by HighlandSC on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Hill of the Wangie (Moray)

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Good wee walk. Looks like you followed the route I took last month: Clickity
foggieclimber

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi foggie, yes my route was heavily influenced by your recent one :D Certainly gave me the idea of leaving the track to ascend the hillside directly.
HighlandSC

Postby Michelle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Glad to see those new boots getting some use so soon! A bigger hill next time maybe? :wink:
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:04 pm

Another ascent of Ben Wyvis perhaps? :lol:

But yep, it'll be a bigger hill wherever I end up!
HighlandSC

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland