walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby hippy66 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 27/09/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

And so, on a slightly overcast day, we set out to bag me my first munro.

On arriving at Rowerdennan, it was a bit smirry, with low lying cloud, but there was a good few other people heading up, so we decided to give it a go.

IMG_3743 by d@lg, on Flickr Cloud closing in

The initial path through the trees was really nice, and the scenery more than made up for the weather, but once out the tree line, things changed.
The main problem was that we couldn't see the summit, so we really didn't have much of an idea how much further we had to go, only getting a rough idea from the map, and what little we could see of the surrounding hill.
Anyway, on we plodded regardless, until a mountain biker on the way down told us it we only had 10 minutes to go. That was the impetus to push on (not seeing the summit was a bit demoralising), and eventually there it was looming out of the mist. The trig pillar. :D

Stopping only to get a couple of photos, and deciding it was a better idea to head down a bit and have a break at a more sheltered place, we turned and headed back down the path.

IMG_3749 by d@lg, on FlickrMan and trig pillar in perfect harmony

So, we didn't get to see the stunning views, which was a real shame (especially as when we got back to the tree line and looked back up, it looked like the weather was breaking), but on the plus side, the jacket I'd re-proofed, did it's job admirably, so I wasn't soaking. :lol:

So, first munro done, and I got a bigger buzz from that than I did from running the Edinburgh marathon.
hippy66
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland