walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stepping up the training

Stepping up the training

Postby bigjimmy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Route description: Eildon Hills, from Melrose

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eildon Mid Hill

Date walked: 27/09/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.75 km

Ascent: 477m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time to continue getting the hill legs back for the late autumn winter. After the first post summer outing to the Ferryden coastal route near Montrose, time to move things up a gear with some ascent.

Parked at the Melrose Rugby club and had breakfast in Dalgety's tearoom of 'breakfast pie' consisting of a shortcrust pastry pie filled with beans, lorne sausage, tomato, bacon and a poached egg on top; good ballast to get started. The omens weren't good however as the top was shrouded in mist. No gentle walk in here, straight ascent on a wooden staircase as soon as you leave the delightful town centre, continuing onto open field and then finally heather and stony paths and a straightforward route to the mid hill summit. The walk up gave great views back to Melrose and over the golf course giving a tantalising glimpse of what the view might be like at the top, but sadly low mist thickened and brought in some rain so there was nowt to see. I waited about 10 minutes figuring the slight breeze might blow this away and was rewarded with one or two breaks which were enough to persuade me a return visit in clearer weather would be worth it.

I took in the other 2 tops but sadly the weather closed in even more and the rain got heavier. On the way down in the mist came a salutory lesson as I didn't pay close enough attention to the instructions on stage 7 and came down too far east, reaching the minor road described in stage 8 about a mile east of where I should have been at the quaint little hamlet of Eildon . Still it was an unexpected bonus as the cottages and gardens just off this road are lovely and I passed Rhymers stone before picking up the described route again for an interesting walk through fields and houses, coming out at the Abbey

A delicious cup of home made lentil soup and a filled roll from Maid Marion's shop and a sitting in a bench taking in the sights of a busy place I glanced upwards and there it was mocking me; a clear Eildon Mid Hill, Ach well the exercise was good, the feet are fine and another step to being ready to take on something bigger
bigjimmy
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Stepping up the training

Postby GillC » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Hey,, that sounded an upbeat wee report,,someone enjoying upping their game. good to see. keep up the good work :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Stepping up the training

Postby bigjimmy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:12 am

thanks Gill, no major aches this morning so given the excellent forecast will head for Mayar and Dreish on Sunday, quite a step up but why not, we have all day. :crazy:
bigjimmy
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland