walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not making it up Ben More

Not making it up Ben More

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:18 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben More

Date walked: 27/02/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 420m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left Glasgow at 6am to hook up with pals at Crianlarich before heading up to Ben Segulaird. Roads ok. Once past Loch lomond the snow was getting closer to the road & visably thicker. Upon meeting pals had a quick chat about the best plan for the day & opted to not spend another hour & half in the car & head up Ben More via the bealach. I had brought map & walk highlands notes just in case.

Snow was ankle deep as soon as we were off the road, becoming thigh deep very quickly in parts. We looked like a well oiled machine with the lead stepping aside when knackerd they joining on the back.
CIMG2030.JPG
Beging of the track at Benmore farm

At about 420 meters we cam across a huge funny looking moud of snow blocking our route, about 200 yards past the gate as the track ( if you can see it) rounds the side of Ben more & as we stood in waist deep snow we realised it was a dump of avalanched snow which when we looked up could see were it had come from.
CIMG2033.JPG
Photo not great, but is the avalanched snow
CIMG2034.JPG
Waist deep. Time to go home

At this point which should have taken us 20 mins & we had been an hour & a half we decided to turn & head for the car.
CIMG2041.JPG
Shame sun coming out & sky clearing

Lovely drive to Tydrum with magnificent view, especialy of Ben Lui followed by an excelent breakfast in Paddy's bar & grill before driving back to Glasgow.

When i got home plugged my GPS in & it told me we had taken two & a half hours to go 4k!

Try again next monday.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Not making it up Ben More

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:58 am

:D Glad Im not the only one that gets beaten back by the snow deapth
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby BethAtTheHug » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:59 am

This is/was high on my list for this coming weekend! 'Interesting' conditions.
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:17 pm

BethAtTheHug wrote:This is/was high on my list for this coming weekend! 'Interesting' conditions.

If you have snow shoes you might be ok. A couple of guys we spoke to where taking the direct approach straight up the front & there progress was slow but they were progressing
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Apart from having snowshoes and staying on top of the snow, when it's that deep, I don't see how progress is possible myself...
mountain coward

Postby hills » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:03 pm

That looked a wise decision on a number of scores, always best to stay safe, better luck next week. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby monty » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Wise move Johny. Best leaving it for another day when your not making any progress. Just as well you were not there before the avalanche. :D

Nice pictures though.
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland