walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Stunning and Special Day on Stob Dearg

A Stunning and Special Day on Stob Dearg

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:15 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 28/09/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 6.29 km

Ascent: 747m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stob Dearg, to the surprise of absolutely no one, is Scotland's most photographed mountain. Little wonder as it is a truly majestic sight as one heads over Rannoch Moor and it stands guard over Glen Coe. It's one of those hills I've wanted to do for ages, but somehow never found the time or for whatever reason, just haven't got round to it.

I was going to be going to Ben Lomond on Saturday, but when that fell through, and an invite from Graham Slater to Scoob and Fi's compleation on Stob Dearg appeared, it was a no brainer. This had come about as Graham had arranged to get a photo of mine of the Buachaille framed for a compleation pressie. Something for which i am truly honoured. This is the pic:

Stob Dearg (1 of 1).jpg

So, onto the day itself. Myself and Anne had decided we wanted to try and catch a sunrise over Rannoch Moor. Timings were worked out, and with a heavy heart, my alarm was set for 4:00am :shock: Half an hour later, we were off, Anne half asleep, and me with a bowl of frosties and the strongest coffee i thought possible behind me. Unsurprisingly the rads were quiet and we arrived at a parking spot near Loch Ba at about 6:30am. A brief squelch onto the moor and we were soon at the loch's banks waiting on some dawn colour. It didn't disappoint.

Stob Dearg-2-3.jpg
Reflections

Stob Dearg-3.jpg
Fiery Sky

Rannoch Moor is wonderful. The only negative is the frankly disgraceful litter left by idiots camping there. However, a truly atmospheric place, and one i'll never tire of.

With the light improving but the cloud still hanging about, Glen Coe looked as eerie and as spectacular as ever. what a place.

Stob Dearg-4.jpg
Meall a'Bhuiridh & Creise

Stob Dearg-5.jpg
The King's House Hotel

After a bit of a daunder up and down the A82 taking photos we headed up to Altnafeadh and attempted to park in an exhaust-busting car park which closely resembled the surface of the moon. The crowd slowly grew, both in anticipation of the special day ahead, and wondering who would rip their car's sump off hammering it into the car park. Tomsie came closest, his arrival bringing a loud scrape to the underside of his car, and gasps and laughter from those already assembled.

With a fair crowd in place, Graham presented Scoob and Fi with their gift (obviously not one for worrying about tempting fate :lol: ) and everyone set off after a wee while. Most of the group would take on the incredible curved ridge, and a a few of us heading up through Coire na Tulaich.

Stob Dearg-6.jpg
Up through the Coire

After a nice climb up through the Coire, we reached the bealach after around an hour and a half. The views opened up as we went, with distant peaks poking out above the cloud. It looked simply incredible.

AnneJ had never done any scrambling before, or climbed anything steeper than Schiehallion and Mayar. Fairly sure my name was mud for a wee while :lol:

At the top, the views were quite simply magnificent.

Stob Dearg-9.jpg
Ben Nevis, the Arete and Carn Mor Dearg

Our climbing style was thus:

*climb*
look round
"WOW"
*click-click-click"
... and repeat

The bealach is littered with the red rock which give the mountain it's name. We continued to take in the wonderful views from the bealach.

Stob Dearg-1.jpg
Buachaille Etive Beag and Aonach Eagach

Stob Dearg-11.jpg

It's not a long or difficult walk up to the summit at all and we were soon there.

Stob Dearg-12.jpg
AnneJ

Stob Dearg-13.jpg
Me

We sat down with the rest of the "Coire Crew" for lunch and awaited sight of those taking on Curved Ridge, including of course, Scoob and Fi. They weren't long in arriving.

Stob Dearg-14.jpg
Crowberry Tower Party #1

Stob Dearg-15.jpg
Not a bad view!

Stob Dearg-17.jpg
Awwwww

Before long, they had joined us at the summit and there were a couple of special moments to be had...

Stob Dearg-3-2.jpg
Compleation

Stob Dearg-4-2.jpg
.....and a wee surprise

Everyone just hung around the summit, chatted, congratulated and generally had a fantastic time. It was a hell of a good place to be :D

Stob Dearg-19.jpg
Bod's hat, bought in some alpine town no one's ever heard of...

Somehow, despite the presence of whisky, everyone managed to get organised for a summit shot. Thanks to Spiderwebb's young lass for taking these.

Stob Dearg-21.jpg
Sensible Group Shot

Stob Dearg-22.jpg
Well ONE sensible summit shot...

Eventually though, it was time to make a move. I briefly considered the second munro, but the thought of enjoying a couple of well earned colds ones with the rest of the group won fairly easily and we headed down the initially steep Coire.

Stob Dearg-23.jpg
Last view of the Glen before heading back down the Coire

Stob Dearg-7.jpg
Looking down Coire na Tulaich

Stob Dearg-24.jpg
Looking back up to the steep initial descent

Just over an hour later we were out of the Coire, heading down the fine path towards the SMC Cottage. One last look at a truly wonderful mountain.

Stob Dearg-25.jpg

After a leisurely change out of a pair of horrific socks, which i really should have burned, it was time to negotiate the exit of the lunar car park and head to the Clachaig for an absolutely wonderfully cold bottle of Peroni and an enjoyable chat with the rest of the group. We camped at the Red Squirrel and returned to the pub about 6pm, from which it became incredibly busy, to the extent that food and drink started to run out.

Graham Slater, if you read this: The Venison Burger was magnificent. No offence :lol:

I can only end this report on a brilliant day by congratulating Scoob and Fi. :clap:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: A Stunning and Special Day on Stob Dearg

Postby Valerie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Great report of a truly wonderful day up one of the most magnificent mountains in Scotland :D A Compleation, a Proposal, Curved Ridge, Crowberry Tower, night in the Clachaig :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: .... just wonderful.
Valerie
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:59
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:89
Wainwrights:182   Islands:16

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Valerie wrote:Great report of a truly wonderful day up one of the most magnificent mountains in Scotland :D A Compleation, a Proposal, Curved Ridge, Crowberry Tower, night in the Clachaig :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: .... just wonderful.

It just doesn't get any better than that :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:11 am

Fabulous photos of a special day on at least two counts! :clap: :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:30 am

Great report and photographs there JP :clap: :clap: :D , on as you say a Special Day. Congratulations to Scoob and Fi on what will be a memorable day for all the right reasons :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 am

Many congrats to Scoob and Fi - on both counts!!!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 am

Fantastic day it was nice meeting you and Anne.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Some superb photos there JP, particularly the Ben and CMD :D

Not so sure about Bod's headgear though :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Peter913 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Nice shots there i like the inversion and the sunset or rise ones over the loch

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland